Re: [mythsoc] Pauline Baynes

    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 2 12:52 PM
      The Tolkien (and Lewis) world will miss Pauline Baynes.

      Nothing's more pleasing to read than Tolkien's delight at first seeing her illustrations for _Farmer Giles_:

      "I am pleased with them beyond even the expectations aroused by the first examples. They are more than illustrations, they are a collateral theme. I showed them to my friends [this would be the Inklings] whose polite comment was that they reduced my text to a commentary on the drawings." (Letter no. 120)

      FGH without those mock-medieval illuminations would be unimaginable. Her great work will live on.
    • David Emerson
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 2 4:07 PM
        >We've just had the sad news that Pauline Baynes, the esteemed artist,
        >illustrator of Tolkien's Farmer Giles of Ham, The Adventures of Tom
        >Bombadil and Other Verses from the Red Book, Smith of Wootton Major,
        >Bilbo's Last Song, etc., and of Lewis's Narnia books, passed away a few
        >days ago at her home in Surrey. She would have turned 86 next month.

        This is a very sad loss indeed. We are all diminished by her passing.

        David Emerson

        PeoplePC Online
        A better way to Internet
        http://www.peoplepc.com
      • Lynn Maudlin
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 5 1:46 PM
          Diana Glyer will be there for a good chunk of Mythcon--

          -- Lynn --

          > Are there any other authors coming to Mythcon other than the ones I
          list
          > below? I've made this list by going through the membership list in
          the progress
          > report. There apparently isn't any online list of members. This
          is being
          > generous in counting people as authors:
          >
          > ***********************
          > David Bratman
          > Marjorie Burns
          > Joe Christopher
          > Janet Croft
          > Verlyn Flieger
          > Mike Foster
          > Christopher Gilson
          > Wayne Hammond
          > Gwenyth Hood
          > Carl Hostetter
          > Ted Nasmith (well, an artist, but his name appears on the title
          page of
          > books)
          > Sharan Newman
          > Christina Scull
          > Arden Smith
          > Donald T. Williams

          > ******
          >

          > Wendell Wagner
          >

          > **************Looking for a car that's sporty, fun and fits in your
          budget?
          > Read reviews on AOL Autos.

          (http://autos.aol.com/cars-BMW-128-2008/expert-review?ncid=aolaut00050000000017
          )

        • Lynn Maudlin
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 5 1:48 PM
            Oh God bless her-- this must be especially said for you and Christina,
            Wayne, as I know the two of you had a relationship with her. Thank you
            for letting us know.

            I look forward to seeing you in New Britain!

            -- Lynn --

            --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne G. Hammond"