Re: [mythsoc] List of authors at Mythcon

    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 2, 2008
      O.K., the list so far, using information given to me off-list. A couple of
      these people aren't listed as being Mythcon members in the progress report.

      Nicholas Birns
      David Bratman
      Anthony Burdge
      Jessica Burke
      Marjorie Burns
      Joe Christopher
      Janet Croft

      Leslie Donovan
      Jason Fisher
      Verlyn Flieger
      Mike Foster
      Christopher Gilson
      Diana Pavlac Glyer
      Wayne Hammond
      Gwenyth Hood
      Carl Hostetter
      Kristine Larsen
      Ted Nasmith (well, an artist, but his name appears on the title page of
      books)
      Sharan Newman
      Christina Scull
      Arden Smith
      Donald T. Williams

      Read reviews on AOL Autos.

    • Wayne G. Hammond
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 2, 2008
        We've just had the sad news that Pauline Baynes, the esteemed artist,
        illustrator of Tolkien's Farmer Giles of Ham, The Adventures of Tom
        Bombadil and Other Verses from the Red Book, Smith of Wootton Major,
        Bilbo's Last Song, etc., and of Lewis's Narnia books, passed away a few
        days ago at her home in Surrey. She would have turned 86 next month.

        Wayne and Christina

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 2, 2008
          The Tolkien (and Lewis) world will miss Pauline Baynes.

          Nothing's more pleasing to read than Tolkien's delight at first seeing her illustrations for _Farmer Giles_:

          "I am pleased with them beyond even the expectations aroused by the first examples. They are more than illustrations, they are a collateral theme. I showed them to my friends [this would be the Inklings] whose polite comment was that they reduced my text to a commentary on the drawings." (Letter no. 120)

          FGH without those mock-medieval illuminations would be unimaginable. Her great work will live on.
        • David Emerson
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 2, 2008
            >We've just had the sad news that Pauline Baynes, the esteemed artist,
            >illustrator of Tolkien's Farmer Giles of Ham, The Adventures of Tom
            >Bombadil and Other Verses from the Red Book, Smith of Wootton Major,
            >Bilbo's Last Song, etc., and of Lewis's Narnia books, passed away a few
            >days ago at her home in Surrey. She would have turned 86 next month.

            This is a very sad loss indeed. We are all diminished by her passing.

            David Emerson

            PeoplePC Online
            A better way to Internet
            http://www.peoplepc.com
          • Lynn Maudlin
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 5, 2008
              Diana Glyer will be there for a good chunk of Mythcon--

              -- Lynn --

              > Are there any other authors coming to Mythcon other than the ones I
              list
              > below? I've made this list by going through the membership list in
              the progress
              > report. There apparently isn't any online list of members. This
              is being
              > generous in counting people as authors:
              >
              > ***********************
              > David Bratman
              > Marjorie Burns
              > Joe Christopher
              > Janet Croft
              > Verlyn Flieger
              > Mike Foster
              > Christopher Gilson
              > Wayne Hammond
              > Gwenyth Hood
              > Carl Hostetter
              > Ted Nasmith (well, an artist, but his name appears on the title
              page of
              > books)
              > Sharan Newman
              > Christina Scull
              > Arden Smith
              > Donald T. Williams

              > ******
              >

              > Wendell Wagner
              >

              > **************Looking for a car that's sporty, fun and fits in your
              budget?
              > Read reviews on AOL Autos.

              (http://autos.aol.com/cars-BMW-128-2008/expert-review?ncid=aolaut00050000000017
              )

            • Lynn Maudlin
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 5, 2008
                Oh God bless her-- this must be especially said for you and Christina,
                Wayne, as I know the two of you had a relationship with her. Thank you
                for letting us know.

                I look forward to seeing you in New Britain!

                -- Lynn --

                --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne G. Hammond"