Re: three new Tolkien books

  • Romuald I Lakowski
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2008
      According to Lynn Forest-Hill, the release date on the Cambridge
      Scholars Publishing Website for The Mirror Crack'd volume is a bit optimistic. She told me in a recent email the book would likely
      come out in September.

      I am also happy to see the Birmingham Proceedings coming out, which
      includes a article of mine entitled "Tolkien's Love Triangle:
      Aragorn's Relationships with Eowyn and Arwen." I was in contact
      recently with Andrew Wells of the Tolkien Society about the
      volume (he was asking me for a brief abstract and bio for my
      contribution), and he indicated that the volume would hopefully
      be ready for publication some time in September.

      Romuald Lakowski
    • John D Rateliff
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 3, 2008
        Thanks to Jason, Merlin, Joe, & Romauld for the additional
        information. I'll definitely keep an eye out for the Dimitri Fimi
        book (although $85 is a pretty stiff price for a relatively slim book).

        Here's another I found out about yesterday that was apparently
        published a few months ago without my hearing anything about it at
        the time:
        TOLKIEN'S GEDLING 1914 by Andrew Morton, a book about Aunt Jane's
        farm where Tolkien wrote the Earendel poem which, in retrospect,
        stands as the starting point of his mythology. Here's the link:
        http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tolkiens-Gedling-1914-Andrew-Morton/dp/
        185858423X/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_1

        --John R.
      • Merlin DeTardo
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 4, 2008
          ---John D Rateliff <sacnoth@...> wrote:
          << Here's another I found out about yesterday that was apparently
          published a few months ago without my hearing anything about it at
          the time: TOLKIEN'S GEDLING 1914 by Andrew Morton, a book about Aunt
          Jane's farm where Tolkien wrote the Earendel poem which, in
          retrospect, stands as the starting point of his mythology. Here's the
          link >>

          In addition to the two short reviews posted at amazon.co.uk, a longer
          response was posted a few weeks ago to the Reading Room forum at
          TheOneRing.net:

          http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?
          post=116568

          And Pieter Collier interviewed one of the authors in May at his
          Tolkien Library site:

          http://www.tolkienlibrary.com/press/830-
          Interview_with_Andrew_H_Morton_on_Tolkien_Gedling.php

          -Merlin DeTardo
        • ajkjr1
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 5, 2008
            I read this book a few weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. Some
            very nice insight into Tolkiens time in Gedling and with his aunt and
            some nice pictures that have probably never been seen.

            If you want t have some fun go to Google earth or and of the mapping
            programs and get a satelite view of that area. The church is still
            there as is part of the farm bt much of it has been developed.

            Nice short read!