Re: three new Tolkien books

  • ajkjr1
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2008
      John:

      Thanks so much for the information in the books. I have met Bob
      Blackham and enjoyed his first book. I attended Aston so look forward
      to reading the proceedings to remind me of the wonderful time I had
      there.

      Joe K.

      > Over the last few days I've found out about three new forthcoming
      > books on JRRT's work, so thought I'd pass along that information
      in
      > case anyone else wd be interested.
      >
      > (1) Tolkien's Oxford, by Robert Blackham. (144p, Tempus
      Publishing,
      > cost: 9.99 pounds, release date: tomorrow).
      > link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0752447297/
      > ref=pe_3421_11742221_pe_snp_297
      >
      > Blackham published a little guidebook to Tolkien sites in
      Birmingham
      > (The Roots of Tolkien's Middle Earth) a few years back, which I
      have
      > but have not yet read; apparently he's now done the same for Oxford.
      >

      > (2) The Mirror Crack'd: Fear and Horror in JRR Tolkien's Major
      Works,
      > ed. Lynn Forest-Hill. (hc, 240p, Cambridge Scholars Publishing,
      cost:
      > 34.99 pounds, release date: tomorrow).
      > link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1847186343/
      > ref=pe_3421_11740741_pe_snp_343
      >
      > "Fear and horror are an inextricable part of Tolkien's great
      > mythology and his use of medieval sources for his evocations of
      fear
      > and horror contribute to the distinctive tone of his work. This
      > collection of essays shows how his masterly narrative techniques
      > transform his sources, both familiar and unfamiliar, so that
      hitherto
      > benign characters, objects and landscapes, as well as his famous
      > monstrous creations, engage with deeply rooted human fears. The
      > essays, by an international group of scholars, confirm Tolkien's
      > worldwide reputation. They highlight the depiction of the fear
      > associated with marginalised characters; explore the moral
      > implications of light and its absence; consider the subtle
      > distinction between secular and religious spiders; discuss the
      role
      > of landscapes and natural disasters in the evocation of fear in
      > Middle-earth; and address the spectacular significance of
      Tolkien's
      > dragons, wolves, and Undead.While some of the essays presented
      here
      > turn to modern science, psychology, and anthropology to deepen
      their
      > analyses of fear and horror, they all add depth to our
      appreciation
      > of Tolkien's most famous and frightening creations by defining
      their
      > relationships to ancient and culturally significant images of fear
      > and horror."
      >

      > (3) The Ring Goes Ever On: Proceedings of the Tolkien 2005
      > Conference; Fifty Years of The Lord of the Rings.
      > (two volumes, about 450 pages each, cost: 35 pounds).
      > link: http://www.tolkienguide.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?
      > topic_id=877&forum=9&post_id=4234#forumpost4234
      >
      > Papers from the 2005 Aston Conference; particularly welcome to
      those,
      > like me, who missed the event itself. The TolkienGuide.com
      reference
      > --the only one I've seen-- says the Tolkien Trading site (the
      Tolkien
      > Society's sales site) will have it available this September, but I
      cd
      > find no mention of it there. Apparently it'll have a limited print
      > run of one thousand copies. I assume the publisher is the Tolkien
      > Society itself.
      >

      > --JDR

    • Romuald I Lakowski
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1, 2008
        According to Lynn Forest-Hill, the release date on the Cambridge
        Scholars Publishing Website for The Mirror Crack'd volume is a bit optimistic. She told me in a recent email the book would likely
        come out in September.

        I am also happy to see the Birmingham Proceedings coming out, which
        includes a article of mine entitled "Tolkien's Love Triangle:
        Aragorn's Relationships with Eowyn and Arwen." I was in contact
        recently with Andrew Wells of the Tolkien Society about the
        volume (he was asking me for a brief abstract and bio for my
        contribution), and he indicated that the volume would hopefully
        be ready for publication some time in September.

        Romuald Lakowski
      • John D Rateliff
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 3, 2008
          Thanks to Jason, Merlin, Joe, & Romauld for the additional
          information. I'll definitely keep an eye out for the Dimitri Fimi
          book (although $85 is a pretty stiff price for a relatively slim book).

          Here's another I found out about yesterday that was apparently
          published a few months ago without my hearing anything about it at
          the time:
          TOLKIEN'S GEDLING 1914 by Andrew Morton, a book about Aunt Jane's
          farm where Tolkien wrote the Earendel poem which, in retrospect,
          stands as the starting point of his mythology. Here's the link:
          http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tolkiens-Gedling-1914-Andrew-Morton/dp/
          185858423X/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_1

          --John R.
        • Merlin DeTardo
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 4, 2008
            ---John D Rateliff <sacnoth@...> wrote:
            << Here's another I found out about yesterday that was apparently
            published a few months ago without my hearing anything about it at
            the time: TOLKIEN'S GEDLING 1914 by Andrew Morton, a book about Aunt
            Jane's farm where Tolkien wrote the Earendel poem which, in
            retrospect, stands as the starting point of his mythology. Here's the
            link >>

            In addition to the two short reviews posted at amazon.co.uk, a longer
            response was posted a few weeks ago to the Reading Room forum at
            TheOneRing.net:

            http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?
            post=116568

            And Pieter Collier interviewed one of the authors in May at his
            Tolkien Library site:

            http://www.tolkienlibrary.com/press/830-
            Interview_with_Andrew_H_Morton_on_Tolkien_Gedling.php

            -Merlin DeTardo
          • ajkjr1
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 5, 2008
              I read this book a few weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. Some
              very nice insight into Tolkiens time in Gedling and with his aunt and
              some nice pictures that have probably never been seen.

              If you want t have some fun go to Google earth or and of the mapping
              programs and get a satelite view of that area. The church is still
              there as is part of the farm bt much of it has been developed.

              Nice short read!