Re: three new Tolkien books

  • Merlin DeTardo
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 31, 2008
      ---John D Rateliff <sacnoth@...> wrote:
      << The Mirror Crack'd: Fear and Horror in JRR Tolkien's Major Works,
      ed. Lynn Forest-Hill. (hc, 240p, Cambridge Scholars Publishing, cost:
      34.99 pounds, release date: tomorrow). >>

      I had the good fortune to hear three papers from this collection
      presented, in condensed form, at Kalamazoo in May: Romuald
      Lakowski's "Horror and Anguish: The Slaying of Glaurung and Medieval
      Dragon Lore"; Amy Amendt-Raduege's "Barrows, Wights, and Ordinary
      People: The Unquiet Dead in J.R.R. Tolkien's _The Lord of the
      Rings_"; and Kristine Larsen's "Shadow and Flame: Myth, Monsters and
      Mother Nature in Middle-earth". As most of you know, Larsen will be
      at Mythcon in two weeks, as will another of the book's contributors,
      Jessica Burke.

      I don't see a table of contents at Amazon, but there is one here:

      http://www.c-s-p.org/Flyers/The-Mirror-Crack-d--Fear-and-Horror-in-
      JRR-Tolkien-s-Major-Works1-84718-634-3.htm

      << The Ring Goes Ever On: Proceedings of the Tolkien 2005 Conference;
      Fifty Years of The Lord of the Rings. (two volumes, about 450 pages
      each, cost: 35 pounds)...
      Papers from the 2005 Aston Conference; particularly welcome to those,
      like me, who missed the event itself. >>

      Even those who attended the conference, like me, will welcome the
      published proceedings, as there were often two or more tracks running
      simultaneously. Among the papers I did see was one by Dimitra Fimi,
      whom Jason just mentioned. Her subject was the history of Sarehole
      Mill and Tolkien's presentation of industrialization.

      -Merlin DeTardo
    • ajkjr1
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1 1:32 PM
        John:

        Thanks so much for the information in the books. I have met Bob
        Blackham and enjoyed his first book. I attended Aston so look forward
        to reading the proceedings to remind me of the wonderful time I had
        there.

        Joe K.

        > Over the last few days I've found out about three new forthcoming
        > books on JRRT's work, so thought I'd pass along that information
        in
        > case anyone else wd be interested.
        >
        > (1) Tolkien's Oxford, by Robert Blackham. (144p, Tempus
        Publishing,
        > cost: 9.99 pounds, release date: tomorrow).
        > link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0752447297/
        > ref=pe_3421_11742221_pe_snp_297
        >
        > Blackham published a little guidebook to Tolkien sites in
        Birmingham
        > (The Roots of Tolkien's Middle Earth) a few years back, which I
        have
        > but have not yet read; apparently he's now done the same for Oxford.
        >

        > (2) The Mirror Crack'd: Fear and Horror in JRR Tolkien's Major
        Works,
        > ed. Lynn Forest-Hill. (hc, 240p, Cambridge Scholars Publishing,
        cost:
        > 34.99 pounds, release date: tomorrow).
        > link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1847186343/
        > ref=pe_3421_11740741_pe_snp_343
        >
        > "Fear and horror are an inextricable part of Tolkien's great
        > mythology and his use of medieval sources for his evocations of
        fear
        > and horror contribute to the distinctive tone of his work. This
        > collection of essays shows how his masterly narrative techniques
        > transform his sources, both familiar and unfamiliar, so that
        hitherto
        > benign characters, objects and landscapes, as well as his famous
        > monstrous creations, engage with deeply rooted human fears. The
        > essays, by an international group of scholars, confirm Tolkien's
        > worldwide reputation. They highlight the depiction of the fear
        > associated with marginalised characters; explore the moral
        > implications of light and its absence; consider the subtle
        > distinction between secular and religious spiders; discuss the
        role
        > of landscapes and natural disasters in the evocation of fear in
        > Middle-earth; and address the spectacular significance of
        Tolkien's
        > dragons, wolves, and Undead.While some of the essays presented
        here
        > turn to modern science, psychology, and anthropology to deepen
        their
        > analyses of fear and horror, they all add depth to our
        appreciation
        > of Tolkien's most famous and frightening creations by defining
        their
        > relationships to ancient and culturally significant images of fear
        > and horror."
        >

        > (3) The Ring Goes Ever On: Proceedings of the Tolkien 2005
        > Conference; Fifty Years of The Lord of the Rings.
        > (two volumes, about 450 pages each, cost: 35 pounds).
        > link: http://www.tolkienguide.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?
        > topic_id=877&forum=9&post_id=4234#forumpost4234
        >
        > Papers from the 2005 Aston Conference; particularly welcome to
        those,
        > like me, who missed the event itself. The TolkienGuide.com
        reference
        > --the only one I've seen-- says the Tolkien Trading site (the
        Tolkien
        > Society's sales site) will have it available this September, but I
        cd
        > find no mention of it there. Apparently it'll have a limited print
        > run of one thousand copies. I assume the publisher is the Tolkien
        > Society itself.
        >

        > --JDR

      • Romuald I Lakowski
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 1 3:23 PM
          According to Lynn Forest-Hill, the release date on the Cambridge
          Scholars Publishing Website for The Mirror Crack'd volume is a bit optimistic. She told me in a recent email the book would likely
          come out in September.

          I am also happy to see the Birmingham Proceedings coming out, which
          includes a article of mine entitled "Tolkien's Love Triangle:
          Aragorn's Relationships with Eowyn and Arwen." I was in contact
          recently with Andrew Wells of the Tolkien Society about the
          volume (he was asking me for a brief abstract and bio for my
          contribution), and he indicated that the volume would hopefully
          be ready for publication some time in September.

          Romuald Lakowski
        • John D Rateliff
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 3 8:10 PM
            Thanks to Jason, Merlin, Joe, & Romauld for the additional
            information. I'll definitely keep an eye out for the Dimitri Fimi
            book (although $85 is a pretty stiff price for a relatively slim book).

            Here's another I found out about yesterday that was apparently
            published a few months ago without my hearing anything about it at
            the time:
            TOLKIEN'S GEDLING 1914 by Andrew Morton, a book about Aunt Jane's
            farm where Tolkien wrote the Earendel poem which, in retrospect,
            stands as the starting point of his mythology. Here's the link:
            http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tolkiens-Gedling-1914-Andrew-Morton/dp/
            185858423X/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_1

            --John R.
          • Merlin DeTardo
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 4 9:33 PM
              ---John D Rateliff <sacnoth@...> wrote:
              << Here's another I found out about yesterday that was apparently
              published a few months ago without my hearing anything about it at
              the time: TOLKIEN'S GEDLING 1914 by Andrew Morton, a book about Aunt
              Jane's farm where Tolkien wrote the Earendel poem which, in
              retrospect, stands as the starting point of his mythology. Here's the
              link >>

              In addition to the two short reviews posted at amazon.co.uk, a longer
              response was posted a few weeks ago to the Reading Room forum at
              TheOneRing.net:

              http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?
              post=116568

              And Pieter Collier interviewed one of the authors in May at his
              Tolkien Library site:

              http://www.tolkienlibrary.com/press/830-
              Interview_with_Andrew_H_Morton_on_Tolkien_Gedling.php

              -Merlin DeTardo
            • ajkjr1
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 5 8:46 AM
                I read this book a few weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. Some
                very nice insight into Tolkiens time in Gedling and with his aunt and
                some nice pictures that have probably never been seen.

                If you want t have some fun go to Google earth or and of the mapping
                programs and get a satelite view of that area. The church is still
                there as is part of the farm bt much of it has been developed.

                Nice short read!