The Iron Lance

  • director@xxxxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 25, 1998
      >I'm a huge Lawhead fan. I really enjoy his writing, especially the
      >Pendragon "trilogy" (yeah, I know there're five books now, but the first
      >three hold together strongly as a unit with the next two as "add-ons").
      >For the interested, there's a lively Lawhead discussion list
      >(http://www.aracnet.com/~petercj/srl/).
      >
      >My first comment is that the thing was probably *not* copyedited. So far
      >I've found dangling modifiers, Robert Louis Stephenson, and some really
      >*glaring* typos. (I'm an editor by profession, so these things really
      >stand out to me.)
      >
      >As for the book, it doesn't look like one of Lawhead's better books. By
      >far not his worst, but not something great. The whole "1899" sub-plot
      >seems (so far) to be one huge cliche. By page 150, there *still* isn't any
      >great forward movement of the narrative. That whole first book could have
      >been pared by about half of its 120 pages and achieved the same results.
      >Instead, its length makes it read more like a Jordan (ugh) novel.
      >
      >But the story is slooowly starting to pick up speed and interest. Both
      >Alexius and Murdo are well-rounded and fascinating characters. Everyone I
      >know who's finished it really enjoyed it, so maybe it picks up.

      As I said, I really enjoyed the book. It certainly doesn't compare with
      Byzantium or Song of Albion (which I think are his best) but it isn't
      overly long (nowhere near as long as Jordan's books). It only took me 2 or
      3 days of reading off and on to finish it. I guess I'll have to see where
      it heads next before I completely make up my mind.

      Matthew R. Williams
      Watertown Public Library
      Watertown, Wisconsin
      director@...-wi.org
    • Donovan Mattole
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 28 10:21 PM
        --- In mythsoc@egroups.com, director@... wrote:
        > Hi:
        > I've just signed up for this new list. I'm a public library
        director in Wisconsin. I've just finished reading Stephen Lawhead's
        new book "The iron lance" which I found quite enjoyable. Anybody
        else read this yet?

        I read it when it came out in 1998. I found it slow going, but that
        was partially due to the fact that I read it in brief snippets while
        riding the MAX (Portland transit train) to work each day - it took a
        month to get through it. I just started The Black Rood this week.
        I've had it sitting on my desk since December and I have kept passing
        it over due to memories of The Iron Lance dragging - from what I can
        tell so far he picked up the pace and I'm enjoying it. I'll let you
        know my final feelings as soon as I'm done. I loved Avalon - it was
        a fun read.

        Donovan Mattole