three new Tolkien books

  • John D Rateliff
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 31, 2008
      Over the last few days I've found out about three new forthcoming
      books on JRRT's work, so thought I'd pass along that information in
      case anyone else wd be interested.

      (1) Tolkien's Oxford, by Robert Blackham. (144p, Tempus Publishing,
      cost: 9.99 pounds, release date: tomorrow).
      link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0752447297/
      ref=pe_3421_11742221_pe_snp_297

      Blackham published a little guidebook to Tolkien sites in Birmingham
      (The Roots of Tolkien's Middle Earth) a few years back, which I have
      but have not yet read; apparently he's now done the same for Oxford.

      (2) The Mirror Crack'd: Fear and Horror in JRR Tolkien's Major Works,
      ed. Lynn Forest-Hill. (hc, 240p, Cambridge Scholars Publishing, cost:
      34.99 pounds, release date: tomorrow).
      link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1847186343/
      ref=pe_3421_11740741_pe_snp_343

      "Fear and horror are an inextricable part of Tolkien's great
      mythology and his use of medieval sources for his evocations of fear
      and horror contribute to the distinctive tone of his work. This
      collection of essays shows how his masterly narrative techniques
      transform his sources, both familiar and unfamiliar, so that hitherto
      benign characters, objects and landscapes, as well as his famous
      monstrous creations, engage with deeply rooted human fears. The
      essays, by an international group of scholars, confirm Tolkien's
      worldwide reputation. They highlight the depiction of the fear
      associated with marginalised characters; explore the moral
      implications of light and its absence; consider the subtle
      distinction between secular and religious spiders; discuss the role
      of landscapes and natural disasters in the evocation of fear in
      Middle-earth; and address the spectacular significance of Tolkien's
      dragons, wolves, and Undead.While some of the essays presented here
      turn to modern science, psychology, and anthropology to deepen their
      analyses of fear and horror, they all add depth to our appreciation
      of Tolkien's most famous and frightening creations by defining their
      relationships to ancient and culturally significant images of fear
      and horror."

      (3) The Ring Goes Ever On: Proceedings of the Tolkien 2005
      Conference; Fifty Years of The Lord of the Rings.
      (two volumes, about 450 pages each, cost: 35 pounds).
      link: http://www.tolkienguide.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?
      topic_id=877&forum=9&post_id=4234#forumpost4234

      Papers from the 2005 Aston Conference; particularly welcome to those,
      like me, who missed the event itself. The TolkienGuide.com reference
      --the only one I've seen-- says the Tolkien Trading site (the Tolkien
      Society's sales site) will have it available this September, but I cd
      find no mention of it there. Apparently it'll have a limited print
      run of one thousand copies. I assume the publisher is the Tolkien
      Society itself.

      --JDR

    • Jason Fisher
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 31, 2008
        > (2) The Mirror Crack'd: Fear and Horror in JRR Tolkien's Major Works,
        > ed. Lynn Forest-Hill.

        I remember the CFP for this project, quite some time ago. Nice to see it's ready for bookshelves. And as long as we're talking about forthcoming books, here's another one to look forward to:

        Tolkien, Race and Cultural History: From Fairies to Hobbits, by Dimitra Fimi (264pp, Palgrave Macmillan, hardcover, $85.00)
        Publication date: November 25, 2008
        ISBN 0-230-21951-9
        http://www.palgrave-usa.com/catalog/product.aspx?isbn=0230219519

        I imagine this will be incorporating some of Fimi's recent (and excellent articles). Looking forward to it.

      • Merlin DeTardo
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 31, 2008
          ---John D Rateliff <sacnoth@...> wrote:
          << The Mirror Crack'd: Fear and Horror in JRR Tolkien's Major Works,
          ed. Lynn Forest-Hill. (hc, 240p, Cambridge Scholars Publishing, cost:
          34.99 pounds, release date: tomorrow). >>

          I had the good fortune to hear three papers from this collection
          presented, in condensed form, at Kalamazoo in May: Romuald
          Lakowski's "Horror and Anguish: The Slaying of Glaurung and Medieval
          Dragon Lore"; Amy Amendt-Raduege's "Barrows, Wights, and Ordinary
          People: The Unquiet Dead in J.R.R. Tolkien's _The Lord of the
          Rings_"; and Kristine Larsen's "Shadow and Flame: Myth, Monsters and
          Mother Nature in Middle-earth". As most of you know, Larsen will be
          at Mythcon in two weeks, as will another of the book's contributors,
          Jessica Burke.

          I don't see a table of contents at Amazon, but there is one here:

          http://www.c-s-p.org/Flyers/The-Mirror-Crack-d--Fear-and-Horror-in-
          JRR-Tolkien-s-Major-Works1-84718-634-3.htm

          << The Ring Goes Ever On: Proceedings of the Tolkien 2005 Conference;
          Fifty Years of The Lord of the Rings. (two volumes, about 450 pages
          each, cost: 35 pounds)...
          Papers from the 2005 Aston Conference; particularly welcome to those,
          like me, who missed the event itself. >>

          Even those who attended the conference, like me, will welcome the
          published proceedings, as there were often two or more tracks running
          simultaneously. Among the papers I did see was one by Dimitra Fimi,
          whom Jason just mentioned. Her subject was the history of Sarehole
          Mill and Tolkien's presentation of industrialization.

          -Merlin DeTardo
        • ajkjr1
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 1, 2008
            John:

            Thanks so much for the information in the books. I have met Bob
            Blackham and enjoyed his first book. I attended Aston so look forward
            to reading the proceedings to remind me of the wonderful time I had
            there.

            Joe K.

> [...]
            > and horror."
            >

            > (3) The Ring Goes Ever On: Proceedings of the Tolkien 2005
            > Conference; Fifty Years of The Lord of the Rings.
            > (two volumes, about 450 pages each, cost: 35 pounds).
            > link: http://www.tolkienguide.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?
            > topic_id=877&forum=9&post_id=4234#forumpost4234
            >
            > Papers from the 2005 Aston Conference; particularly welcome to
            those,
            > like me, who missed the event itself. The TolkienGuide.com
            reference
            > --the only one I've seen-- says the Tolkien Trading site (the
            Tolkien
            > Society's sales site) will have it available this September, but I
            cd
            > find no mention of it there. Apparently it'll have a limited print
            > run of one thousand copies. I assume the publisher is the Tolkien

          • Romuald I Lakowski
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 1, 2008
              According to Lynn Forest-Hill, the release date on the Cambridge
              Scholars Publishing Website for The Mirror Crack'd volume is a bit optimistic. She told me in a recent email the book would likely
              come out in September.

              I am also happy to see the Birmingham Proceedings coming out, which
              includes a article of mine entitled "Tolkien's Love Triangle:
              Aragorn's Relationships with Eowyn and Arwen." I was in contact
              recently with Andrew Wells of the Tolkien Society about the
              volume (he was asking me for a brief abstract and bio for my
              contribution), and he indicated that the volume would hopefully
              be ready for publication some time in September.

              Romuald Lakowski
            • John D Rateliff
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 3, 2008
                Thanks to Jason, Merlin, Joe, & Romauld for the additional
                information. I'll definitely keep an eye out for the Dimitri Fimi
                book (although $85 is a pretty stiff price for a relatively slim book).

                Here's another I found out about yesterday that was apparently
                published a few months ago without my hearing anything about it at
                the time:
                TOLKIEN'S GEDLING 1914 by Andrew Morton, a book about Aunt Jane's
                farm where Tolkien wrote the Earendel poem which, in retrospect,
                stands as the starting point of his mythology. Here's the link:
                http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tolkiens-Gedling-1914-Andrew-Morton/dp/
                185858423X/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_1

                --John R.
              • Merlin DeTardo
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 4, 2008
                  ---John D Rateliff <sacnoth@...> wrote:
                  << Here's another I found out about yesterday that was apparently
                  published a few months ago without my hearing anything about it at
                  the time: TOLKIEN'S GEDLING 1914 by Andrew Morton, a book about Aunt
                  Jane's farm where Tolkien wrote the Earendel poem which, in
                  retrospect, stands as the starting point of his mythology. Here's the
                  link >>

                  In addition to the two short reviews posted at amazon.co.uk, a longer
                  response was posted a few weeks ago to the Reading Room forum at
                  TheOneRing.net:

                  http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?
                  post=116568

                  And Pieter Collier interviewed one of the authors in May at his
                  Tolkien Library site:

                  http://www.tolkienlibrary.com/press/830-
                  Interview_with_Andrew_H_Morton_on_Tolkien_Gedling.php

                  -Merlin DeTardo
                • ajkjr1
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 5, 2008
                    I read this book a few weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. Some
                    very nice insight into Tolkiens time in Gedling and with his aunt and
                    some nice pictures that have probably never been seen.

                    If you want t have some fun go to Google earth or and of the mapping
                    programs and get a satelite view of that area. The church is still
                    there as is part of the farm bt much of it has been developed.

                    Nice short read!