Hobbit-themed subdivision in foreclosure

  • Jason Fisher
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 31, 2008
      I can't help but recall Thorin's parting words: "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." What a shame.
      http://blog.oregonlive.com/nwheadlines/2008/07/bends_hobbitthemed_subdivision.html

      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 31, 2008
        Jason Fisher <visualweasel@...> wrote:

        >I can't help but recall Thorin's parting words:
        >"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above
        >hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." What a shame.
        >http://blog.oregonlive.com/nwheadlines/2008/07/bends_hobbitthemed_subdivision.html

        "There goes the last of England's arable!" - J.R.R. Tolkien

        Isn't this the subdivision that was named by someone who'd never even read Tolkien, but had only seen Jackson's films? If so, my tears at its passing are especially minimal.
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 1, 2008
          If you want to know what the place actually looks like, or was going to look like, its website is <http://www.bendshire.com/>

          The words "twee" and "cutesy" do not half apply to Jackson's films as much as they do to this. Its failure has saved us from a thorough round of cultural vandalism.
        • Croft, Janet B.
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 1, 2008
            Ow ow ow! That should have had a “not safe” warning or something. It’s the worst excesses of Jackson (and I say this as someone who rather liked the Bag End interior) married to the arch-tweeness of Thomas Kincaid. Now where’s that brain brillo I keep around just for things like this….

            Janet

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 1, 2008
              "Croft, Janet B." <jbcroft@...> wrote:

              >Ow ow ow! That should have had a “not safe” warning
              >or something.

              I'd have thought that "worse than Jackson" should be warning enough for anyone.
            • Lynn Maudlin
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 5, 2008
                Excessively Thomas Kincaidian, as Janet said--

                I don't mind "themed" developments and there could be good stuff like
                this, but everybody was looking to make moolah on fans of the films,
                which would make for a rather odd community, you know? Can you
                imagine living in a community made mostly of Jackson film fans? It
                would be *odd*...

                I love this
                <http://www.bendshire.com/index.php?p=12>
                "I've come to take you home" indeed!