Re: [mythsoc] A thought...

  • Diane Joy Baker
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 17, 2008
      Cool idea. I shall send this off to a friend, who appreciates Bombadil.
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 17, 2008
        Except that Bombadil isn't ascetic, spouts love for a physical woman, and the description of "being in the world but not of it" is certainly a phrase that fits the elves as much as Bombadil. And Bombadil isn't a hermit in any sense, while not a great traveler at the time of the LOTR, he once was, and even in the LoTR, and in the Bombadil poems, that he had regular concourse with Maggot, and possibly others. (Can one be defined as a hermit and have a room mate?)

        There's an analogue there certainly: like a hermit, Bombadil has drawn the lines in which he will live and move and have his being and not venture out of those lines much if at all, but just an analogue.

        Larry Swain