Re: [mythsoc] Borges and Tolkien

  • John D Rateliff
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 16, 2008
      Although interesting, I don't think this shows signs of being
      influence one way or the other; just two great writers touching on
      the same theme.
      I don't know of any evidence that Tolkien knew of Borges' work,
      and think it's unlikely. Borges certainly knew English literature
      well -- he was v. fond of Chesterton and also knew Dunsany's work --
      but I think he'd turned inwards by the time Tolkien's work was well-
      known. It may have been read to him, but that would be difficult to
      prove one way or the other. The best way to try would be reading
      memoirs and interviews, then writing to Borges' biographers. I don't
      think Borges has yet had a volume of his collected letters; if so the
      editor(s) of that would be in a good position to know. The best
      source wd be his companion, Maria Kodama, if she's still alive.
      If you do turn up any more on this, I'd be interested in hearing
      about it. And of course it'd be well worth writing up the comparison
      between the two's treatment of the theme even without any evidence of
      a direct connection or common source.

      --JDR

    • Vincent Ferré
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 24, 2008
        Good evening to all,

        Do you have, in English, a translation of Borges's essay on ancient germanic literature ? it was translated in French in 1966.

        Vincent

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 24, 2008
          I presume you mean the essay variously titled "The Kenningar" and "Ancient
          Germanic Literature". I have a copy of Borges's Selected Non-fictions, the
          most common collection of his essay translated into English. It doesn't
          contain that essay.

          Wendell Wagner

          In a message dated 7/24/2008 10:03:18 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
          ferretolk@... writes:

          Good evening to all,

          Do you have, in English, a translation of Borges's essay on ancient germanic
          literature ? it was translated in French in 1966.

          Vincent

          FanHouse Fantasy Football today.