FINAL DAY for MYTHCON preregistration!

  • Lynn Maudlin
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 15, 2008
      www.mythsoc.org - roll up for the mystery tour!

      Obviously our ability to arrange for room & board packages *at the
      door* will be limited, so please do get your money in today. See you
      in Connecticut for our first Mythcon in the Northeast!

      -- Lynn --
    • Ginger McElwee
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 15, 2008
        Lynn,

        Did you decide to share a room?

        Ginger

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 16, 2008
          Yes, did you not receive my email?! yikes!

          -- Lynn --

          --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Ginger McElwee" <gingermc@...> wrote:

          > Lynn,
          >
          > Did you decide to share a room?
          >
          > Ginger

          Behalf Of
          > Lynn Maudlin
          > Sent: Tuesday, July 15, 2008 3:36 PM
          > To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: [!! SPAM] [mythsoc] FINAL DAY for MYTHCON preregistration!
          >

          > www.mythsoc.org - roll up for the mystery tour!
          >
          > Obviously our ability to arrange for room & board packages *at the
          > door* will be limited, so please do get your money in today. See you
          > in Connecticut for our first Mythcon in the Northeast!
          >
          > -- Lynn --

        • Andrew
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 17, 2008
            ...kicking around my head. Given JRRT's work on the Anhorites (Ancrene
            Wisse) and his admission that the LOTR is a Catholic work, how bout
            Bombadil as a hermit, a monk--in the world not of it, giving for this
            world not a cherry. Any likelihood that, much as Narnia was Lewis's
            supposal of our wide array of myths in a world where animals could
            talk, might Bombadill play the role of a Middle-earth ascetic?

            Oh, not the pale and parsimonious asceticism as we've come to
            understand it in our day, but more like desert fathers or all of those
            wonder-working saints, nuns, and brothers of the Middle Ages.

            He's in the world not of it, and has a different power altogether--one
            connected with the earth and rivers.

            Maybe even a rehabilitation (key word for the Inklings as Modernists)
            of Chaucer's Monk and Reeve, even?

            Just musing...

            Blessings, all. Off to Oxbridge next week!

            Kindly,

            Andrew
          • Diane Joy Baker
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 17, 2008
              Cool idea. I shall send this off to a friend, who appreciates Bombadil.

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 17, 2008
                Except that Bombadil isn't ascetic, spouts love for a physical woman, and the description of "being in the world but not of it" is certainly a phrase that fits the elves as much as Bombadil. And Bombadil isn't a hermit in any sense, while not a great traveler at the time of the LOTR, he once was, and even in the LoTR, and in the Bombadil poems, that he had regular concourse with Maggot, and possibly others. (Can one be defined as a hermit and have a room mate?)

                There's an analogue there certainly: like a hermit, Bombadil has drawn the lines in which he will live and move and have his being and not venture out of those lines much if at all, but just an analogue.

                Larry Swain