Re: [mythsoc] SPI

  • Jeremy Edmonds
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 14 9:23 PM
      Mike at the Tolkien Boardgame Collecting website has a lot of information on
      this (and pretty much every other game):

      http://www.freewebs.com/tolkienboardgamecollecting/waroftheringsspi.htm

      Below are the versions he has listed (most not pictured). There are other
      international editions (for example the polish version) that he does not have
      listed (picture of that one avaiable at
      http://www.tolkienguide.com/modules/wiwimod/index.php?page=WarRingSPI )

      Mike can be reached at mikekuo55@... if you want to ask more particular
      questions about the early editions, he probably has multiple complete sets that
      he can refer to.

      -----SPI War of the Ring -one game, green box, no SPI logo or wording
      underneath artwork on front of the box

      -----SPI War of the Ring -one game, green box, SPI logo on bottom left of the
      front box and their is wording underneath artwork.

      ----SPI War of the Ring -one game, white box with bakshi artwork

      -----SPI War of the Ring -one game, white box with bakshi artwork, Simpubs (UK)
      edition

      -----SPI War of the Ring -one game, white box with bakshi artwork, Italian
      edition

      -----SPI War of the Ring -one game, white box with bakshi artwork, Japanese
      edition

      -----SPI War of the Ring -one game, flat tray version with a cover sheet

      -----SPI Middle Earth: War of the Ring trilogy - 3 games, green box Box art of
      Balrog and Gandalf
      covers most of box. Underneath the picture is the logo for SPI and beside it
      are some sentences. Lettering of the word Middle Earth is in yellow, The Ring
      Trilogy is in black, and War of the Ring is white, not red like the other
      version.

      ----SPI Middle Earth: War of the Ring trilogy - 3 games, green box Box art of
      Balrog and Gandalf
      covers about 50% of the box. Underneath the picture are some sentences and then
      the SPI logo. Lettering of the
      words War of the Ring, Gondor, and Sauron are in red. Word Middle Earth is in
      white and lettering of The Ring Trilogy is yellow.

      ----SPI Middle Earth: War of the Ring trilogy - 3 games, flat tray version with
      cover sheet

      --- "Wayne G. Hammond" <Wayne.G.Hammond@...> wrote:

      > John,
      >
      > >Does anyone have copies of the old SPI Tolkien boardgames from the
      > >late 1970s? I have a partial copy of WAR OF THE RING --the gameboard
      > >itself and two unseparated cardsheets-- and all the former says is
      > >"Copyright (c) 1977, Simulations Publications Inc.' I know that
      > >later reprintings of this game used artwork from the Ralph Bakshi
      > >movie on the box cover, which suggests that it was licensed from
      > >Tolkien Enterprises. I'm trying to find out if any licensing notice
      > >was present in the original game, or if this was something added
      > >later on. Any enlightenment much appreciated.
      >
      > We have the SPI games GONDOR, SAURON, and WAR OF THE RING. The first two
      > are in boxes with Tim Kirk art and a limited use of color; the third has
      > Bakshi film art in full color on the box. All three boxes state that the
      > product was licensed from Tolkien Enterprises, 1977. However, there is no
      > mention of Tolkien Enterprises on any of the enclosed instruction and rules
      > sheets.
      >
      > Each game (collected by Christina in Britain) has the box imprint of both
      > the U.S. and U.K. branches of Simulations Publications, Inc. We don't know
      > if there were U.S./U.K. printing variants.
      >
      > Wayne and Christina

      Rown's Books
      * Tolkien, SF&F and more *
      872 Loyalton Drive