Re: [mythsoc] SPI

  • Wayne G. Hammond
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 14, 2008
      John,

      >Does anyone have copies of the old SPI Tolkien boardgames from the
      >late 1970s? I have a partial copy of WAR OF THE RING --the gameboard
      >itself and two unseparated cardsheets-- and all the former says is
      >"Copyright (c) 1977, Simulations Publications Inc.' I know that
      >later reprintings of this game used artwork from the Ralph Bakshi
      >movie on the box cover, which suggests that it was licensed from
      >Tolkien Enterprises. I'm trying to find out if any licensing notice
      >was present in the original game, or if this was something added
      >later on. Any enlightenment much appreciated.

      We have the SPI games GONDOR, SAURON, and WAR OF THE RING. The first two
      are in boxes with Tim Kirk art and a limited use of color; the third has
      Bakshi film art in full color on the box. All three boxes state that the
      product was licensed from Tolkien Enterprises, 1977. However, there is no
      mention of Tolkien Enterprises on any of the enclosed instruction and rules
      sheets.

      Each game (collected by Christina in Britain) has the box imprint of both
      the U.S. and U.K. branches of Simulations Publications, Inc. We don't know
      if there were U.S./U.K. printing variants.

      Wayne and Christina

    • Jeremy Edmonds
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 14, 2008
        Mike at the Tolkien Boardgame Collecting website has a lot of information on
        this (and pretty much every other game):

        http://www.freewebs.com/tolkienboardgamecollecting/waroftheringsspi.htm

        Below are the versions he has listed (most not pictured). There are other
        international editions (for example the polish version) that he does not have
        listed (picture of that one avaiable at
        http://www.tolkienguide.com/modules/wiwimod/index.php?page=WarRingSPI )

        Mike can be reached at mikekuo55@... if you want to ask more particular
        questions about the early editions, he probably has multiple complete sets that
        he can refer to.

        -----SPI War of the Ring -one game, green box, no SPI logo or wording
        underneath artwork on front of the box

        -----SPI War of the Ring -one game, green box, SPI logo on bottom left of the
        front box and their is wording underneath artwork.

        ----SPI War of the Ring -one game, white box with bakshi artwork

        -----SPI War of the Ring -one game, white box with bakshi artwork, Simpubs (UK)
        edition

        -----SPI War of the Ring -one game, white box with bakshi artwork, Italian
        edition

        -----SPI War of the Ring -one game, white box with bakshi artwork, Japanese
        edition

        -----SPI War of the Ring -one game, flat tray version with a cover sheet

        -----SPI Middle Earth: War of the Ring trilogy - 3 games, green box Box art of
        Balrog and Gandalf
        covers most of box. Underneath the picture is the logo for SPI and beside it
        are some sentences. Lettering of the word Middle Earth is in yellow, The Ring
        Trilogy is in black, and War of the Ring is white, not red like the other
        version.

        ----SPI Middle Earth: War of the Ring trilogy - 3 games, green box Box art of
        Balrog and Gandalf
        covers about 50% of the box. Underneath the picture are some sentences and then
        the SPI logo. Lettering of the
        words War of the Ring, Gondor, and Sauron are in red. Word Middle Earth is in
        white and lettering of The Ring Trilogy is yellow.

        ----SPI Middle Earth: War of the Ring trilogy - 3 games, flat tray version with
        cover sheet

        --- "Wayne G. Hammond" <Wayne.G.Hammond@...> wrote:

        > John,
        >
        > >Does anyone have copies of the old SPI Tolkien boardgames from the
        > >late 1970s? I have a partial copy of WAR OF THE RING --the gameboard
        > >itself and two unseparated cardsheets-- and all the former says is
        > >"Copyright (c) 1977, Simulations Publications Inc.' I know that
        > >later reprintings of this game used artwork from the Ralph Bakshi
        > >movie on the box cover, which suggests that it was licensed from
        > >Tolkien Enterprises. I'm trying to find out if any licensing notice
        > >was present in the original game, or if this was something added
        > >later on. Any enlightenment much appreciated.
        >
        > We have the SPI games GONDOR, SAURON, and WAR OF THE RING. The first two
        > are in boxes with Tim Kirk art and a limited use of color; the third has
        > Bakshi film art in full color on the box. All three boxes state that the
        > product was licensed from Tolkien Enterprises, 1977. However, there is no
        > mention of Tolkien Enterprises on any of the enclosed instruction and rules
        > sheets.
        >
        > Each game (collected by Christina in Britain) has the box imprint of both
        > the U.S. and U.K. branches of Simulations Publications, Inc. We don't know
        > if there were U.S./U.K. printing variants.
        >
        > Wayne and Christina

        Rown's Books
        * Tolkien, SF&F and more *
        872 Loyalton Drive