Re: [mythsoc] Re: W. H. Lewis's diary

    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 25, 2008
      Sure, Lynn, absolutely - but the question at hand wasn't the state of Hooper's soul nor the fallibility of his humanity. It was the accuracy of his autobiographical statements and the reliability of his scholarship. On those questions, humans are not equally fallible.

      DB

      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 25, 2008
        David, I think you have (as usual) hit upon an important distinction.
        One doesn't have to attribute malice or anything else pernicious to
        another who has unreliable scholarship. When dealing with inaccuracy
        and unreliability, the "why" doesn't really matter.

        Grace Monk

        On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 12:26 PM, David Bratman <dbratman@...> wrote:
        > Sure, Lynn, absolutely - but the question at hand wasn't the state of
        > Hooper's soul nor the fallibility of his humanity. It was the accuracy of
        > his autobiographical statements and the reliability of his scholarship. On
        > those questions, humans are not equally fallible.
        >
        > DB

      • Carl F. Hostetter
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 25, 2008
          Or, as I like to say, "Never attribute to malice that which is
          sufficiently explained by stupidity."

          Carl