Harry Potter IV (w / spoilers)

  • Diane Joy Baker
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 26, 2000
      Finally finished Harry Potter! As usual, delightful and breezy action.
      There are spoilers from here on out, and if you haven't gotten your copy or
      finished it, don't read any further.

      One of the most interesting aspects is the fact that it's much more evident
      that the Dementors are not well regarded; the internal politics of the
      magical community seems as interesting as it is among the Muggle's world.
      The Muggle world and Magical world are more connected this time: a few
      Muggles are touched by magical events. Things definitely took a dark turn
      where Fudge is concerned; his blind desire not to believe that V is back
      threatens his position.

      Of course I knew that You Know Who would come back; structurally, makes
      sense that it would be in the fourth book. One thing I wasn't clear about:
      What exactly *is* a Death Eater? If it's just the name for those who follow
      YKW, it's rather misleading, and if there's an actual function for these
      folk, it's not clear. He Who Must Not Be Named doesn't seem to care about
      whether the followers he has are of age, since three of them are Hogwarts
      students.

      The "foreign" elements were interesting. Are the *veela* a real creation,
      or did JKR make them up? You have the French, who have always had trouble
      with England, Germany represented with Viktor, and the Slavic element with
      Karkaroff. Looks a lot like our world! But enough for now. ---djb.
    • Avie
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 27, 2000
        At 08:08 26/07/00 -0400, DJB wrote:
        >Finally finished Harry Potter! As usual, delightful and breezy action.
        >There are spoilers from here on out, and if you haven't gotten your copy or
        >finished it, don't read any further.

        <keeping spoiler spaces in again>

        Things definitely took a dark turn
        >where Fudge is concerned; his blind desire not to believe that V is back
        >threatens his position.

        This is something I'm really looking forward to in the next few books -
        Fudge's denial. Will he keep on denying the re-emergence of V? If he
        does, is it because it threatens his current position, he's just a
        yellow-bellied coward, or is there something more sinister in the plot
        somewhere? I've found his character interesting, but can't say I like him
        very much... he's just been a weeeee bit too chummy with HP for my liking.

        > He Who Must Not Be Named doesn't seem to care about
        >whether the followers he has are of age, since three of them are Hogwarts
        >students.

        I was under the impression that the three familiar names were actually the
        parents of the students. I think Rowling writes something along the lines of:
        "...next Voldemort moved up to the largest hooded figures..." (I'd look up
        the page number but I'm too lazy :)
        I was a little surprised that they were all involved - it seemed a bit
        predictable that the meanie kids had rotten parents.

        Regards,
        Avie