Re: [mythsoc] My geeky question about Mythprint

  • Wayne G. Hammond
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 22, 2008
      Wendell wrote:

      >I've been going through all my issues of Mythopoeic Society publications,
      >checking if they're all there. (This is why I happened to notice the
      >misnumbering of the last issue of Mythprint.) There was a period I refer
      >to as the
      >Great Interregnum in 1977 through 1980 when the issues of Mythprint were very
      >sparse. I notice that for Volume 16, I have only Number 2 from December 1977,
      >Number 4 from July 1978, and Number 5 from August 1978. Can anyone tell me
      >if there were other issues of Volume 16 or if the other issue numbers were
      >skipped? Yeah, this is an incredibly geeky thing to worry about, but indulge
      >me on this.

      Sorry to be so long in checking this in my and Christina's collection. We
      have, in vol. 16 of _Mythprint_, physical issues for no. 2 (Dec. 1977), no.
      4 (July 1978), no. 5 (Aug. 1978), and no. 6 (May 1980, after the
      "interregnum"; this begins new whole numbering with "0"). I've also
      followed up David's memory of _Mythprint_s in the back of _Mythlore_, and
      found _Mythprint_ vol. 16, no. 3 (May 1978) within _Mythlore_ 17. Vol. 16,
      no. 1 seems to have been skipped in the numbering: _Mythlore_ 16 contains
      _Mythprint_ vol. 15, no. 5 (June 1977). Also, the earliest back issues
      order form I could find, from 1981, lists no _Mythprint_ in 1977 between
      August (= vol. 15, no. 6) and December (= vol. 16, no. 2).

      Wayne

    • Croft, Janet B.
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 23, 2008
        Thanks for this information, Wayne - I'll add the bits about Mythprint being included in Mythlore 16 and 17 to the master issue list online and in the next edition of the print index.

        Janet

        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 23, 2008
          I'm pretty sure there were three issues of Mythprint in Mythlore. Mythprint numbering in this period included one misnumbered issue, but the next one corrected this. Something like two v. 15 no. 6 and the next one was v. 16 no. 2. Something like that, anyway. I worked this out when I became editor (I'm responsible for the sample issue of 1980 being v. 16 no. 6, to close the old volume out before starting a new volume with "New whole no. 1", the first subscription issue), but I'm relying on memory now. Other than that one glitch, the volume numbering worked out accurately.

          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 23, 2008
            Janet,

            >Thanks for this information, Wayne - I'll add the bits about Mythprint
            >being included in Mythlore 16 and 17 to the master issue list online and
            >in the next edition of the print index.

            A Mythprint also appeared in the back of Mythlore 15: vol. 15, no. 3 (March
            1977).

            Wayne

          • Croft, Janet B.
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 24, 2008
              Thanks - added to my list!

              Janet

              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 13, 2008
                In a message dated 6/22/2008 5:04:32 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                Wayne.G.Hammond@... writes:

                Sorry to be so long in checking this in my and Christina's collection. We
                have, in vol. 16 of _Mythprint_, physical issues for no. 2 (Dec. 1977), no.
                4 (July 1978), no. 5 (Aug. 1978), and no. 6 (May 1980, after the
                "interregnum""interregnum"<WBR>; this begins new whole numbering with "0
                followed up David's memory of _Mythprint_s in the back of _Mythlore_, and
                found _Mythprint_ vol. 16, no. 3 (May 1978) within _Mythlore_ 17. Vol. 16,
                no. 1 seems to have been skipped in the numbering: _Mythlore_ 16 contains
                _Mythprint_ vol. 15, no. 5 (June 1977). Also, the earliest back issues
                order form I could find, from 1981, lists no _Mythprint_ in 1977 between
                August (= vol. 15, no. 6) and December (= vol. 16, no. 2).

                .

                I now believe this to be the true numbering of Mythprint during the Great
                Interregnum:

                Volume 15 Number 1 January 1977
                Volume 15 Number 2 February 1977
                Volume 15 Number 3 March 1977 in Mythlore 15
                Volume 15 Number 4 April 1977
                Volume 15 Number 5 May 1977
                Volume 15 Number 5 June 1977 in Mythlore 16 (This is apparently a
                misnumbering for Volume 15 Number 6)
                Volume 15 Number 6 August 1977 (This is apparently a misnumbering for Volume
                16 Number 1 August 1977)
                Volume 16 Number 2 December 1977
                Volume 16 Number 3 May 1978 in Mythlore 17
                Volume 16 Number 4 July 1978
                Volume 16 Number 5 August 1978
                Volume 16 Number 6 May 1980 New Whole Number 0

                After this comes Volume 17 with New Whole Numbering starting at 1.

                Thanks to everyone for their help in straightening this out.