Re: [mythsoc] Re: The Voice of Walter Hooper

  • John D Rateliff
    Message 1 of 41 , Jun 21, 2008
      On Jun 20, 2008, at 8:34 AM, William Cloud Hicklin wrote:
      > . . . if Major Lewis were such a good judge of character, why
      > didn't he get rid of the Millers?

      Well, we only have Gresham's word for it that the Millers were bad
      for Warnie. And they were a familiar part of his old life,
      continuity between his bleak present and his days living with his
      brother. I shd have been v. surprised if he'd done anything other
      than urge them to stay on for the rest of his days, wh. is in fact
      what he did.

      --JDR
      Message 41 of 41 , Jun 22, 2008
        In a message dated 6/22/2008 2:40:28 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
        sacnoth@... writes:

        "I teach at Marquette"
        "What's your position?"
        "I'm a T.A. in the English Dept."

        I never talked that way when I was a grad student. When asked when I did, I
        said that I was a grad student. If asked what I lived on, I would add that
        I worked as a teaching assistant. In my experience (and that was at two
        large universities - Ohio State and University of Texas), that was what most grad
        students said. Your experience may be different from mine, but the grad
        students I knew didn't talk of being a teaching assistant as their main job,
        just as part of being a grad student.