Masques of Amen House

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 25, 2000
      Hail, O you most fair world! I come to you
      As perfect as man's work can be, as new
      As Spring in gardens or young love in minds
      Where love's best self no rough presumption finds.
      O glorious earth! O happiness of art!
      O full Imagination, make my part
      Not quite unworthy you. And now install
      Me humbly as the youngest of you all.

      _The Masques of Amen House_ has been published! This collection contains
      all three of the verse plays that Charles Williams wrote for his colleagues
      at the Oxford University Press in 1926-30, two of them only previously
      published in private editions, the third never published in any form, plus
      a hefty selection of poetry related to the masques, almost all of it
      previously unpublished, plus five selections from the (also previously
      unpublished) music by Hubert Foss for the masques, plus explanatory notes
      on allusions, obscure vocabulary, etc., plus a full introduction on CW,
      Amen House, the history of the masque form, and the creation and production
      of these masques, by Bernadette Lynn Bosky. The whole is edited by me.

      The book is 206 pages, softcover, and the cover price is $14. To order,
      add $1.25 shipping and handling, or $2.75 for first class delivery, and
      send this (payble to The Mythopoeic Society) to: Joan Marie Verba, P.O. Box
      1363, Minnetonka, MN 55345-0363.

      David Bratman
      - responsible for the preceding advertisement -