Re: [mythsoc] Re: The Voice of Walter Hooper

  • John D Rateliff
    Message 1 of 41 , Jun 21, 2008
      On Jun 19, 2008, at 2:19 PM, Larry Swain wrote:
      > Sayer's book was published in what, I want to say 1977.

      Try 1988. It's a real tragedy that there was such a long gap between
      when Sayer gathered his evidence (in the 1960s) and when he wrote his
      book; most of the errors are due to that delay. Which is why I used
      him as contributory evidence, not the sole source.

      I don't agree with your reconstruction of events re. Tolkien's
      statement, which seems to me to present JRRT as muddle-headed and
      gullible. Tolkien knew Hooper well. Hooper became a friend of the
      family; he was a great admirer of Edith and visited JRRT in the
      hospital when he broke his leg, remaining close to Fr. John until the
      latter's death, and is still close to Priscilla Tolkien today. JRRT
      was not likely to confuse "edited CSL's posthumous books" with "used
      to be CSL's secretary". Besides, the context of the letter I cited (a
      draft for a letter of recommendation for Hooper's applying to some
      post) shows he's writing from personal knowledge and being careful
      not to go beyond what he can personally verify.

      > And even if we do take it at face value, and say that Sayer's
      > remembrance is an accurate one and Lewis really did say that, let's
      > remember that the context of Lewis' remark is that Sayer's informs
      > us that Lewis was delusional, and had just spoken of Mrs. Moore as
      > if still alive. Sayer went away wondering if Hooper were indeed
      > real. Well, Mrs. Moore wasn't alive in 1963, but she'd been real
      > enough, and Hooper may have been real

      "may have been real"?

      > but it doesn't follow then that Lewis was or had in fact "engaged"
      > him as a secretary or even intended to when healthy.

      But the very next paragraph goes on to explain how Sayer immediately
      discovered, from Havard, that Lewis had been lucid in that discussion.

      > Well, there should be a good number of letters written by Hooper
      > for Lewis then, shouldn't there? How many do you list down there,
      > 3? Hardly the expected output of 6+ weeks of daily output one
      > would expect.

      I think you misunderstand the evidence here. COLLECTED LETTERS is by
      no means complete. For example, it prints only four letters for the
      month of February 1948, out of what were probably hundreds Lewis
      wrote. Many do not survive, and apparently not all that do merited
      selection. It's reasonable to assume the same applies to the letters
      Fr. Hooper wrote as CSL's temporary secretary in August of 1963.
      Similarly, we may only be able to document two meetings between
      CSL and JRRT in the last months of Lewis's life, but that does not
      mean that was their only contact during that period.

      --JDR
      Message 41 of 41 , Jun 22, 2008
        In a message dated 6/22/2008 2:40:28 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
        sacnoth@... writes:

        "I teach at Marquette"
        "What's your position?"
        "I'm a T.A. in the English Dept."

        I never talked that way when I was a grad student. When asked when I did, I
        said that I was a grad student. If asked what I lived on, I would add that
        I worked as a teaching assistant. In my experience (and that was at two
        large universities - Ohio State and University of Texas), that was what most grad
        students said. Your experience may be different from mine, but the grad
        students I knew didn't talk of being a teaching assistant as their main job,
        just as part of being a grad student.