Re: [mythsoc] Re: The Voice of Walter Hooper

    Message 1 of 41 , Jun 20, 2008
      Lynn Maudlin <lynnmaudlin@...> wrote:

      >It's true; it's also possible that Warnie took all his grief over
      >losing Jack and projected it onto Hooper - but that doesn't appear to
      >be consistent with his personal relationships, is it?
      >
      >Did he *ever* soften toward Hooper?

      Warnie's diaries reveal that he had a complicated love-hate relationship with Hooper: in his loneliness he enjoyed having Hooper, with his conversational abilities and large fund of gossip, visit. But he did not trust Hooper, or believe everything he said.

      I think that "getting rid of the Millers" would be an equally complex problem. Unless they proved positively criminal, he'd be unlikely to fire such long-term employees. And getting adequate replacements, especially by the 1960s, would not be easy.
      Message 41 of 41 , Jun 22, 2008
        In a message dated 6/22/2008 2:40:28 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
        sacnoth@... writes:

        "I teach at Marquette"
        "What's your position?"
        "I'm a T.A. in the English Dept."

        I never talked that way when I was a grad student. When asked when I did, I
        said that I was a grad student. If asked what I lived on, I would add that
        I worked as a teaching assistant. In my experience (and that was at two
        large universities - Ohio State and University of Texas), that was what most grad
        students said. Your experience may be different from mine, but the grad
        students I knew didn't talk of being a teaching assistant as their main job,
        just as part of being a grad student.