Tolkien Sociey Events: Oxonmoot 2008

  • John Davis
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 16 1:50 AM
      Hi,

      Thanks for permission to post details of Tolkien Society Events to the list.
      Below is the first of them...

      John

      OXONMOOOOOT '08

      This Year Oxonmoot is Longer!
      Christ Church College, Oxford
      Thursday 25th - Sunday 28th September

      Registration: £35 Members (16+) or £42 Non-members (16+)
      Prices will change after Thursday 31 July 2008

      Christ Church College founded by Cardinal Wolsey is in the centre of the
      city and apart from its connections with the Harry Potter films is home to
      the library where Lewis Carroll worked, a fine art gallery, and the city's
      cathedral.

      Oxonmoot: or a Moot in Oxford is a long-running weekend event and features:
      Welcome Dinner; Quiz, Talks, Papers, Workshops; Art Show,
      Musical Performances by Anois
      Merry & Pippin's Dance Workshop;
      Saturday Evening Party & Masquerade;
      Enyalië (act of remembrance at Tolkien's grave).
      Plus a Sales Room featuring: Tolkien Society Trading, ADC Books and the
      Bookwyrm

      Booking enquiries?
      E-mail: bookings AT tolkiensociety.org

      Interested in giving a paper?
      Contact osc DOT dte AT tolkiensociety.org

      www.tolkiensociety.org/oxon
    • Lynn Maudlin
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 16 2:28 PM
        I'd love to go, John - it's been years since I've been to an Oxonmoot
        (money and time, *sigh*) - in the meantime, TS folks ought to come
        over to Mythcon - it's particularly inexpensive this year, the pound
        is strong, and it's on the east coast - easy distance!!!

        www.mythsoc.org/mythcon39.html

        nudge, nudge!

        -- Lynn --

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 17 1:26 AM
          Hi Lynn,

          I'd love to come to Mythcon. But two elderly dogs make such trips out of the question at the moment.

          Speaking of Mythcon though, have you considered posting details of it to the TS website's events page? It is for all Tolkien-related events, not just TS ones (I know, 'cause I deal with updating it!). The page is: www.tolkiensociety.org/events, and there is a form to complete to add an event.

          John

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 17 4:23 PM
            Boy, I thought I had, ages back... I'll go right over! thanks--

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 18 1:12 AM
              Hi Lynn,

              Entry seen and added to the page - thanks.

              Perhaps you had informed someone else at the TS before? I'm new to the society, but it seems that sometimes news doesn't quite spread to where one might think it should. So telling, say, the editor of Amon Hen doesn't necessarily mean that he'll pass the news on to the website people, and telling the overall webmaster might mean it appears in one place on the site but not on the events page which someone else (me!) deals with. Best to always post news to the events page, then I can guarantee that it will at least appear there!

              John

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 18 12:10 PM
                No, I'd added Mythcon 38 (years back!) and maybe Mythcon 37 when I
                first came on as SMC; I *thought* I'd added this year's Mythcon but,
                as it wasn't up there, I must not have-- *sigh*

                As for groups and lines of communication, the TS doesn't have anything
                on the Mythsoc when it comes to right hand/left hand confusion!!! ;)

                I guess I don't know you; there were a number of years where I was
                able to come over for Oxonmoot or the AGM (and occasionally both) -
                ah, time and money!