oxford trip report

  • saraciborski
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 14, 2008
      Alas, all the wonderful, helpful advice from this list (and also off-
      list) did not avail: I failed in my primary objective for visiting
      Oxford--to pay respects at Tolkien's grave--because the cemetery was
      closed! We had but an afternoon for seeing the city instead of the
      planned full day, owing to an unplanned stop to see friends in
      Gloucester. I thought to save the cemetery for the last, and so after
      making sure I could find it (which was easy as it is just around the
      corner from the Park & Ride), we went into the center by bus and
      joined a very enjoyable walking tour (marred somewhat by the crowds
      and crowds of tourists everywhere). By 4:30 we were back at our car,
      and drove the short way to the cemetery entrance gate--locked--where
      a sign informed me that it closes at 3pm. Or did that day, anyway. I
      was in shock with dismay and disappointment that I couldn't even
      share with my traveling companion (she not being a Tolkien lover).
      I console myself with the happy thought that I must be meant to go to
      England again someday. Happy thought--for apart from the cemetery
      debacle it was a fantastic, wonder-filled trip (a play and 2 concerts
      in London, Evensong in both Salisbury Cathedral and York Minster, a
      hike along the Pembrokeshire coast trail, Stourhead and Bodnant
      Gardens, the "Victory" in Portsmouth, a working sheep farm in the
      Lake District, Dolwyddelan Castle in Wales((better than Conwy)) to
      mention some highlights, and obviously not in that order).
      So...my advice to others heading for Oxford: go to Wolvercote
      Cemetery first thing in the morning!
      Sara Ciborski
    • Joshua Kronengold
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 12, 2008
        Lisa and I are planning on taking the 7pm or 9pm Metro North train
        from Grand Central to Waterbury Thursday evening, and take a cab from
        there to Connecticut State. Should run us $13-$17 each plus $50 for
        the cab -- a substantial savings over the $50/person + cab that Amtrak
        would run us.

        Anyone interested in sharing the ride down, and ideally, the cab over?
        $80 is a nice bonus over the $125 the directions on the website would
        likely run us, but $55 (my estimate for the two of us with two people
        in the cab) would be nicer still.

        --
        Joshua Kronengold (mneme@(io.com, labcats.org)) |\ _,,,--,,_ ,)
        --^-- "Did you know, if you increment enough, you /,`.-'`' -, ;-;;'