Re: [mythsoc] The Voice of Walter Hooper

  • John D Rateliff
    Message 1 of 41 , Jun 13, 2008
      On Jun 13, 2008, at 2:41 AM, WendellWag@... wrote:
      > He was *not* Lewis's secretary.

      Well, J. R. R. Tolkien --who was in a better position to judge than
      either of us-- thought otherwise, since he refers to Hooper as "the
      late C S Lewis' secretary" in a draft letter I've seen.

      Hooper did not know Lewis for long (only a matter of weeks), and he
      later deliberately tried to mislead people on that point in order to
      beef up his resume, but it seems silly to deny that he did know
      Lewis, and that CSL, in Warnie's prolonged absence, entrusted Hooper
      with a number of tasks he would not have handed off to a casual
      acquaintance (such as reading and responding to letters addressed to
      Lewis, and to closing out Lewis's office at Cambridge and making sure
      all his books there got to their appropriate destinations).

      --JDR
      Message 41 of 41 , Jun 22, 2008
        In a message dated 6/22/2008 2:40:28 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
        sacnoth@... writes:

        "I teach at Marquette"
        "What's your position?"
        "I'm a T.A. in the English Dept."

        I never talked that way when I was a grad student. When asked when I did, I
        said that I was a grad student. If asked what I lived on, I would add that
        I worked as a teaching assistant. In my experience (and that was at two
        large universities - Ohio State and University of Texas), that was what most grad
        students said. Your experience may be different from mine, but the grad
        students I knew didn't talk of being a teaching assistant as their main job,
        just as part of being a grad student.