Re: [mythsoc] The Voice of Walter Hooper

  • John D Rateliff
    Message 1 of 41 , Jun 13, 2008
      On Jun 12, 2008, at 10:33 PM, Larry Swain wrote:
      > To answer Lynn's query: You should know at the outset that this is
      > a fractious issue and has divided the list previously.

      Indeed it is, unfortunately.

      > Hooper himself has admitted . . . his story of the bonfire was a
      > fabrication
      <snip>
      > . . . his deliberate lie about the bonfire that he himself had
      > admitted is not altogether the truth.

      This I doubt very much. I've been following the LIndskoog-Hooper
      controversy closely since about 1978, and this is the first time I've
      ever heard this assertion. Source, please.
      I know that just this past November I attended a talk Hooper gave
      about being CSL's editor and he repeated the bonfire story more or
      less verbatim.
      --John R.

      Message 41 of 41 , Jun 22, 2008
        In a message dated 6/22/2008 2:40:28 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
        sacnoth@... writes:

        "I teach at Marquette"
        "What's your position?"
        "I'm a T.A. in the English Dept."

        I never talked that way when I was a grad student. When asked when I did, I
        said that I was a grad student. If asked what I lived on, I would add that
        I worked as a teaching assistant. In my experience (and that was at two
        large universities - Ohio State and University of Texas), that was what most grad
        students said. Your experience may be different from mine, but the grad
        students I knew didn't talk of being a teaching assistant as their main job,
        just as part of being a grad student.