Re: The Voice of Walter Hooper

  • William Cloud Hicklin
    Message 1 of 41 , Jun 10 5:40 PM
      I've never heasrd Hooper, nor am I particularly
      familiar with any Kentucky accents; but generally
      there are many Southern accents (there is by no
      means merely one!) which retain pronunciations
      which might be considered 'British' compared with
      Received Generic American. Some of my kinfolk
      (upper South Carolina) sound every bit as mid-
      Atlantic, in a different way, as any Boston
      Brahmin.

      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Richard
      James" <rvjames@...> wrote:

      > Walter Hooper was in the States last October,
      2007 and spoke twice at
      > the C.S. Lewis: The Man & His Work Conference at
      Southeastern Baptist
      > Theological Seminary in Wake Forest, NC. Anyone
      who desires can
      > download the following two files and listen to
      him as well as learn
      > something of the work he has been doing over the
      last 45 years.

      > "Walter Hooper's Work as Editor of C.S. Lewis
      Works"
      > (http://www.sebts.edu/chapel/
      getFile.cfm?FileID=439)

      > "C.S. Lewis: Reflections about the Man"
      > (http://www.sebts.edu/chapel/
      getFile.cfm?FileID=440)

      <dbratman@> wrote:

      > > I recently had a chance to see the 1979 Lewis
      documentary "Through
      > Joy and Beyond", which is narrated by Walter
      Hooper. This is the
      > first time I've heard Hooper speak, live or
      canned.

      > > According to Kathryn Lindskoog's books, even
      before the film came
      > out, Hooper was giving people the impression
      that he was English by
      > origin instead of American as he is. He would
      say "you Americans"
      > and profess bafflement at, for instance, our
      school system.

      > > Yet I wonder, because in the film's narration,
      Hooper has a
      > definitely American accent, a sort of
      announcer's baritone. There
      > are a few odd semi-British pronunciations of
      individual words, but
      > nowhere near enough to give me the impression
      that the speaker could
      > possibly be from anywhere but North America.
      > >
      > > Has anyone heard Hooper speak and can shed
      light on this?

      Message 41 of 41 , Jun 22 1:01 AM
        In a message dated 6/22/2008 2:40:28 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
        sacnoth@... writes:

        "I teach at Marquette"
        "What's your position?"
        "I'm a T.A. in the English Dept."

        I never talked that way when I was a grad student. When asked when I did, I
        said that I was a grad student. If asked what I lived on, I would add that
        I worked as a teaching assistant. In my experience (and that was at two
        large universities - Ohio State and University of Texas), that was what most grad
        students said. Your experience may be different from mine, but the grad
        students I knew didn't talk of being a teaching assistant as their main job,
        just as part of being a grad student.