My geeky question about Mythprint

    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 9, 2008
      I've been going through all my issues of Mythopoeic Society publications,
      checking if they're all there. (This is why I happened to notice the
      misnumbering of the last issue of Mythprint.) There was a period I refer to as the
      Great Interregnum in 1977 through 1980 when the issues of Mythprint were very
      sparse. I notice that for Volume 16, I have only Number 2 from December 1977,
      Number 4 from July 1978, and Number 5 from August 1978. Can anyone tell me
      if there were other issues of Volume 16 or if the other issue numbers were
      skipped? Yeah, this is an incredibly geeky thing to worry about, but indulge
      me on this.

      2008. (http://citysbest.aol.com?ncid=aolacg00050000000102)

    • Lynn Maudlin
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 10, 2008
        If David Bratman can't answer your best source would be Lee Speth, me
        thinks, but I don't think he's active on the list.

        -- Lynn --

        > I've been going through all my issues of Mythopoeic Society
        publications,
        > checking if they're all there. (This is why I happened to notice the
        > misnumbering of the last issue of Mythprint.) There was a period I
        refer to as the
        > Great Interregnum in 1977 through 1980 when the issues of Mythprint
        were very
        > sparse. I notice that for Volume 16, I have only Number 2 from
        December 1977,
        > Number 4 from July 1978, and Number 5 from August 1978. Can anyone
        tell me
        > if there were other issues of Volume 16 or if the other issue
        numbers were
        > skipped? Yeah, this is an incredibly geeky thing to worry about,
        but indulge
        > me on this.
        >
        > Wendell Wagner
        >

        > **************Vote for your city's best dining and nightlife. City's
        Best
        > 2008. (http://citysbest.aol.com?ncid=aolacg00050000000102)

      • dbratman
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 10, 2008
          I could answer this question, but that would involve delving through musty
          archives I don't have handy at the moment, or any moments soon to come. One
          relevant fact is that three, I think, of the Great Interregnum issues of
          Mythprint appeared as supplements in the back of Mythlore issues, and these
          were numbered like all other Mythprint issues. There was also at least one
          error in numbering in this period.

          David Bratman

          If David Bratman can't answer your best source would be Lee Speth, me
          thinks, but I don't think he's active on the list.

          -- Lynn --

          > I've been going through all my issues of Mythopoeic Society
          publications,
          > checking if they're all there. (This is why I happened to notice the
          > misnumbering of the last issue of Mythprint.) There was a period I
          refer to as the
          > Great Interregnum in 1977 through 1980 when the issues of Mythprint
          were very
          > sparse. I notice that for Volume 16, I have only Number 2 from
          December 1977,
          > Number 4 from July 1978, and Number 5 from August 1978. Can anyone
          tell me
          > if there were other issues of Volume 16 or if the other issue
          numbers were
          > skipped? Yeah, this is an incredibly geeky thing to worry about,
          but indulge
          > me on this.
          >
          > Wendell Wagner
          >

          > **************Vote for your city's best dining and nightlife. City's
          Best
          > 2008. (http://citysbest.aol.com?ncid=aolacg00050000000102)

        • John D Rateliff
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 11, 2008
            Were there also not occasions when a postcard was sent out in lieu of
            an issue, or was this only the case with MYTHLORE?
            --JDR

            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 11, 2008
              No, I've checked my collection of Mythlore issues and none of them was
              replaced by a postcard. In some cases they were replaced by a single-page issue.
              The numbering (by which I mean the numbering of "Whole Number X") is
              continuous, although a few times there were issues numbered "Whole Numbers 354 and
              355" (or whatever). The period between issues was quite variable, but there
              was no missing of issue numbers as long as you count the single-page issues.

              I don't remember issues of Mythprint ever being replaced by postcards.
              Except for the Great Interregnum in 1977 through 1980, I don't know of any missed
              issue numbers. Again, the period between issues was quite variable and
              there are issues numbered "Whole Numbers 1823 and 1834" (or whatever).

              Wendell Wagner

              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 11, 2008
                Just Mythlore, and it wasn't exactly a postcard, but a one-sheet placeholder. It was done for reasons of postal regulations, which for Mythlore's class (supposedly) required a regular mailing schedule. Mythprint didn't have that kind of permit.

                >Were there also not occasions when a postcard was sent out in lieu of
                >an issue, or was this only the case with MYTHLORE?
                > --JDR
                >
                >On Jun 10, 2008, at 11:15 PM, dbratman wrote:
                >> I could answer this question, but that would involve delving
                >> through musty
                >> archives I don't have handy at the moment, or any moments soon to
                >> come. One
                >> relevant fact is that three, I think, of the Great Interregnum
                >> issues of
                >> Mythprint appeared as supplements in the back of Mythlore issues,
                >> and these
                >> were numbered like all other Mythprint issues. There was also at
                >> least one
                >> error in numbering in this period.
                >>
                >> David Bratman
                >>
                >> --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, WendellWag@... wrote:
                >>> I've been going through all my issues of Mythopoeic Society
                >>> publications, checking if they're all there. (This is why I
                >>> happened to notice the misnumbering of the last issue of
                >>> Mythprint.) There was a period I refer to as the Great
                >>> Interregnum in 1977 through 1980 when the issues of Mythprint
                >>> were very sparse. I notice that for Volume 16, I have only
                >>> Number 2 from December 1977, Number 4 from July 1978, and Number 5
                >>> from August 1978. Can anyone tell me if there were other issues
                >>> of Volume 16 or if the other issue numbers were skipped? Yeah,
                >>> this is an incredibly geeky thing to worry about, but indulge me
                >>> on this.
                >>> Wendell Wagner
              • Croft, Janet B.
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 12, 2008
                  The official issue list for Mythlore, available online at http://www.mythsoc.org/mythlore/history/ and in the recently published paper index, lists issues 42 and 44 in 1985 and 77 in 1994 as "short supplemental issues to meet postal regulations." A similar issue list for Mythprint would be a nice thing to have for anyone so inclined to do it, hint hint...

                  Janet

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 22, 2008
                    Wendell wrote:

                    >I've been going through all my issues of Mythopoeic Society publications,
                    >checking if they're all there. (This is why I happened to notice the
                    >misnumbering of the last issue of Mythprint.) There was a period I refer
                    >to as the
                    >Great Interregnum in 1977 through 1980 when the issues of Mythprint were very
                    >sparse. I notice that for Volume 16, I have only Number 2 from December 1977,
                    >Number 4 from July 1978, and Number 5 from August 1978. Can anyone tell me
                    >if there were other issues of Volume 16 or if the other issue numbers were
                    >skipped? Yeah, this is an incredibly geeky thing to worry about, but indulge
                    >me on this.

                    Sorry to be so long in checking this in my and Christina's collection. We
                    have, in vol. 16 of _Mythprint_, physical issues for no. 2 (Dec. 1977), no.
                    4 (July 1978), no. 5 (Aug. 1978), and no. 6 (May 1980, after the
                    "interregnum"; this begins new whole numbering with "0"). I've also
                    followed up David's memory of _Mythprint_s in the back of _Mythlore_, and
                    found _Mythprint_ vol. 16, no. 3 (May 1978) within _Mythlore_ 17. Vol. 16,
                    no. 1 seems to have been skipped in the numbering: _Mythlore_ 16 contains
                    _Mythprint_ vol. 15, no. 5 (June 1977). Also, the earliest back issues
                    order form I could find, from 1981, lists no _Mythprint_ in 1977 between
                    August (= vol. 15, no. 6) and December (= vol. 16, no. 2).

                    Wayne

                  • Croft, Janet B.
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 23, 2008
                      Thanks for this information, Wayne - I'll add the bits about Mythprint being included in Mythlore 16 and 17 to the master issue list online and in the next edition of the print index.

                      Janet

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 23, 2008
                        I'm pretty sure there were three issues of Mythprint in Mythlore. Mythprint numbering in this period included one misnumbered issue, but the next one corrected this. Something like two v. 15 no. 6 and the next one was v. 16 no. 2. Something like that, anyway. I worked this out when I became editor (I'm responsible for the sample issue of 1980 being v. 16 no. 6, to close the old volume out before starting a new volume with "New whole no. 1", the first subscription issue), but I'm relying on memory now. Other than that one glitch, the volume numbering worked out accurately.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 23, 2008
                          Janet,

                          >Thanks for this information, Wayne - I'll add the bits about Mythprint
                          >being included in Mythlore 16 and 17 to the master issue list online and
                          >in the next edition of the print index.

                          A Mythprint also appeared in the back of Mythlore 15: vol. 15, no. 3 (March
                          1977).

                          Wayne

                        • Croft, Janet B.
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jun 24, 2008
                            Thanks - added to my list!

                            Janet

                            Message 13 of 13 , Jul 13, 2008
                              In a message dated 6/22/2008 5:04:32 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                              Wayne.G.Hammond@... writes:

                              Sorry to be so long in checking this in my and Christina's collection. We
                              have, in vol. 16 of _Mythprint_, physical issues for no. 2 (Dec. 1977), no.
                              4 (July 1978), no. 5 (Aug. 1978), and no. 6 (May 1980, after the
                              "interregnum""interregnum"<WBR>; this begins new whole numbering with "0
                              followed up David's memory of _Mythprint_s in the back of _Mythlore_, and
                              found _Mythprint_ vol. 16, no. 3 (May 1978) within _Mythlore_ 17. Vol. 16,
                              no. 1 seems to have been skipped in the numbering: _Mythlore_ 16 contains
                              _Mythprint_ vol. 15, no. 5 (June 1977). Also, the earliest back issues
                              order form I could find, from 1981, lists no _Mythprint_ in 1977 between
                              August (= vol. 15, no. 6) and December (= vol. 16, no. 2).

                              .

                              I now believe this to be the true numbering of Mythprint during the Great
                              Interregnum:

                              Volume 15 Number 1 January 1977
                              Volume 15 Number 2 February 1977
                              Volume 15 Number 3 March 1977 in Mythlore 15
                              Volume 15 Number 4 April 1977
                              Volume 15 Number 5 May 1977
                              Volume 15 Number 5 June 1977 in Mythlore 16 (This is apparently a
                              misnumbering for Volume 15 Number 6)
                              Volume 15 Number 6 August 1977 (This is apparently a misnumbering for Volume
                              16 Number 1 August 1977)
                              Volume 16 Number 2 December 1977
                              Volume 16 Number 3 May 1978 in Mythlore 17
                              Volume 16 Number 4 July 1978
                              Volume 16 Number 5 August 1978
                              Volume 16 Number 6 May 1980 New Whole Number 0

                              After this comes Volume 17 with New Whole Numbering starting at 1.

                              Thanks to everyone for their help in straightening this out.