The Voice of Walter Hooper

    Message 1 of 41 , Jun 5, 2008
      I recently had a chance to see the 1979 Lewis documentary "Through Joy and Beyond", which is narrated by Walter Hooper. This is the first time I've heard Hooper speak, live or canned.

      According to Kathryn Lindskoog's books, even before the film came out, Hooper was giving people the impression that he was English by origin instead of American as he is. He would say "you Americans" and profess bafflement at, for instance, our school system.

      Yet I wonder, because in the film's narration, Hooper has a definitely American accent, a sort of announcer's baritone. There are a few odd semi-British pronunciations of individual words, but nowhere near enough to give me the impression that the speaker could possibly be from anywhere but North America.

      Has anyone heard Hooper speak and can shed light on this?
      Message 41 of 41 , Jun 22, 2008
        In a message dated 6/22/2008 2:40:28 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
        sacnoth@... writes:

        "I teach at Marquette"
        "What's your position?"
        "I'm a T.A. in the English Dept."

        I never talked that way when I was a grad student. When asked when I did, I
        said that I was a grad student. If asked what I lived on, I would add that
        I worked as a teaching assistant. In my experience (and that was at two
        large universities - Ohio State and University of Texas), that was what most grad
        students said. Your experience may be different from mine, but the grad
        students I knew didn't talk of being a teaching assistant as their main job,
        just as part of being a grad student.