Re: [mythsoc] Re: one noble elderly hobbit ...

  • Doug Kane
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 4 4:51 PM
      Merlin DeTardo wrote:

      > To repeat a question asked in those comments, and elsewhere on the net
      > since that article appeared: who is Christopher Tolkien's biographer,
      > cited in the story as calling him "cantankerous"?

      Merlin, the only possibility that I can come up with is that they are referring to the citation that Carpenter makes in his biography of J.R.R.Tolkien from JRRT's diary stating that Christopher "had grown into 'a nervy, irritable, cross-grained, self-tormenting, cheeky person. Yet there is something intensely lovable about him, to me at any rate, from the very similarity between us'." (Carpenter, 172.) So far as I know, there have not been any biographies of Christopher Tolkien published, though others may correct me if I am wrong