Re: [mythsoc] Re: Enchanted

    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 4, 2008
      David Emerson <emerdavid@...> wrote:

      >Speaking of fairy-tale movies in general, did anyone see the mini-series "The 10th
      >Kingdom"? I believe it originally aired on the Hallmark Channel, but it's
      >available on DVD (which is how I saw it). It's not great, but it does contain
      >many choice bits skewering various fairy-tale conventions.

      I saw part of that, at the instigation of a friend who loves it. It would have been much better than "Enchanted" if only it had been no longer than it. As it was I got very tired of it after a few hours, particularly of the guy who plays the wolf in a grating Method Acting style.

      All I remember favorably at this distance was the blind lumber. When the heroes express skepticism that he can perform his profession, he booms, "Does a tree move?" This not being Tolkien, I guess it doesn't.
    • David Emerson
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 4, 2008
        >I saw part of ["The 10th Kingdom"], at the instigation of a friend who loves it. It would have been much better than "Enchanted" if only it had been no longer than it. As it was I got very tired of it after a few hours, particularly of the guy who plays the wolf in a grating Method Acting style.

        Yes, that was one of the major failings. Scott Cohen was so much better just a year or two later as Lorelai Gilmore's love interest in "Gilmore Girls". But then, it's probably easier to be convincing as a prep school professor in love with a gorgeous woman than as a half-man half-wolf fairy tale character.

        emerdavid

        PeoplePC Online
        A better way to Internet
        http://www.peoplepc.com
      • John D Rateliff
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 4, 2008
          On Jun 4, 2008, at 4:51 AM, Elizabeth Hardy wrote:
          > (And if we're voting...The perfect fairy tale movie is the The
          > Princess Bride! Choosing anything else would be inconceivable!)

          PRINCESS BRIDE is a fun film, but my vote for the perfect fairy tale
          movie -- or as near perfect as makes no difference -- is Miyazaki's
          SPIRITED AWAY.
          --John R.

        • Lynn Maudlin
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 5, 2008
            It's one of those instances where I'm able to enjoy each for what they
            are; I love the book (love it!) but I also love the movie (spectacular
            casting! lulminous Robin Wright and Cary Elwes at his young sensitive
            virile best, not to mention Mandy Patinkin and Wallace Shawn!) - in
            fact, my only real complaint is the mediocre score (!! - I know, I
            love Mark Knopfler - but being a great guitarist and pop musician does
            *not* make one a great film composer; horrible music under the great
            sword fight between Westley and Inigo at the top of the Cliffs of
            Insanity - bleah).

            -- Lynn --

            > > (And if we're voting...The perfect fairy tale movie is the The
            Princess Bride! Choosing anything else would be inconceivable!)

            > I liked the movie of "The Princess Bride" okay, but I *loved* the
            book and so found the movie a bit disappointing by comparison. Maybe
            if I'd never read the book I would've loved the movie.