Another inappropriate Tolkien reference in the political media

  • Jason Fisher
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 4, 2008
      This is not meant to spark off-topic *political* debate, but I just came across this via a Google News Alert. Consider the latest example of a pundit co-opting a Tolkien reference in an effort to make a political point:
      The author, one James Lewis, writes: "That's how they [the Left] are building up Obama today. When they get done with him, Barack Obama will look like young King Aragorn out of J.R.R. Tolkien's The Return of the King.  The media will show us lots of photos with this archetype. Call it, 'The People Greet Their Young King!'"
      The full article, which makes one further reference to Tolkien, can be found here:
      http://www.americanthinker.com/2008/06/phonyops_build_the_obama_myth_1.html
      Jason

    • Merlin DeTardo
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 4, 2008
        --- Jason Fisher <visualweasel@...> wrote:
        << The author, one James Lewis, writes: "... young King Aragorn ..." >>

        Aragorn was young as Numenoreans go, but was 88 years old at his
        coronation.

        -Merlin DeTardo
      • Margaret Dean
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 4, 2008
          Merlin DeTardo wrote:

          > --- Jason Fisher <visualweasel@...> wrote:
          > << The author, one James Lewis, writes: "... young King Aragorn ..." >>
          >
          > Aragorn was young as Numenoreans go, but was 88 years old at his
          > coronation.

          And he never really comes across as a young man, either -- or
          only in comparison to immortal or ageless characters like Gandalf
          and Elrond. And, well, Arwen.... :)

          --Margaret Dean
          <margdean@...>
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 4, 2008
            "I am no longer young even in the reckoning of Men of the Ancient Houses" - Aragorn, Book 3, Chapter 5