Re: Enchanted

  • Lynn Maudlin
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 4 12:10 AM
      Well, David, I guess I just don't know how to take your closing
      statement from the previous post: "Look, I know it's possible to make
      a perfect fairy tale movie. It's called _Shrek_. If you can't play in
      that league, don't call on me." Sounded rather like you were
      expecting or demanding perfection, at least in my reading.

      Speaking of Amy Adams, have you seen "Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day"?
      Delightful film, imho - and I have no idea whether you'd enjoy it or
      not; I don't know your taste well enough... worth a DVD rental at
      least (when it's released on DVD).

      -- Lynn --

      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 4 12:25 AM
        Lynn Maudlin <lynnmaudlin@...> wrote:

        >Well, David, I guess I just don't know how to take your closing
        >statement from the previous post: "Look, I know it's possible to make
        >a perfect fairy tale movie. It's called _Shrek_. If you can't play in
        >that league, don't call on me." Sounded rather like you were
        >expecting or demanding perfection, at least in my reading.

        I wrote "play in that league," not "match that."

        >Speaking of Amy Adams, have you seen "Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day"?
        >Delightful film, imho - and I have no idea whether you'd enjoy it or
        >not; I don't know your taste well enough... worth a DVD rental at
        >least (when it's released on DVD).

        Haven't been moved to see it because the previews and such reminded me too much of other films I found dull.
      • Elizabeth Hardy
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 4 4:51 AM
          I actually found all of Shrek to be pretty off-putting! I "wanted" to like it, too, especially with its ideas about true beauty, etc., etc., and great music, but the fact that it is marketed as a kids' movie, but is not, for me, appropriate kids' fare (we're potty training; I hear all I want about bodily functions without hearing more on DVD!) really bothers me. Maybe I just have a Mike Myers aversion (except when he's Wayne!) He really just reminds me too much of all the stuff that made junior high school so awful.
          But this discussion does bring up Lewis's great statement that a children's story (or movie?) that can only be read and enjoyed by children is a bad children's story. I have seen many books and movies that I'm sure I would have liked when I was 12, but I wouldn't touch now! Thankfully, Narnia is just as wonderful (and maybe more so) to me when I go there with my son as it was when I went alone at his age.

          (And if we're voting...The perfect fairy tale movie is the The Princess Bride! Choosing anything else would be inconceivable!)
          Elizabeth

        • David Emerson
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 4 6:18 AM
            > (And if we're voting...The perfect fairy tale movie is the The Princess Bride! Choosing anything else would be inconceivable!)

            I liked the movie of "The Princess Bride" okay, but I *loved* the book and so found the movie a bit disappointing by comparison. Maybe if I'd never read the book I would've loved the movie.

            emerdavid

            PeoplePC Online
            A better way to Internet
            http://www.peoplepc.com
          • David Emerson
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 4 6:21 AM
              Speaking of fairy-tale movies in general, did anyone see the mini-series "The 10th Kingdom"? I believe it originally aired on the Hallmark Channel, but it's available on DVD (which is how I saw it). It's not great, but it does contain many choice bits skewering various fairy-tale conventions.

              emerdavid

              PeoplePC Online
              A better way to Internet
              http://www.peoplepc.com
              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 4 10:51 AM
                Elizabeth Hardy <britomart3@...> wrote:

                >I actually found all of Shrek to be pretty off-putting! I "wanted" to like it,
                >too, especially with its ideas about true beauty, etc., etc., and great music,
                >but the fact that it is marketed as a kids' movie, but is not, for me,
                >appropriate kids' fare (we're potty training; I hear all I want about bodily
                >functions without hearing more on DVD!) really bothers me. Maybe I just have a
                >Mike Myers aversion (except when he's Wayne!) He really just reminds me too much
                >of all the stuff that made junior high school so awful.

                I have a deep aversion to both Mike Myers (that includes all the Wayne & Garth crap) and Eddie Murphy, which is why I was so astonished that I liked Shrek. After the opening credits, there's really very little bodily function stuff, and what there is is actually jokes that are funny, as opposed to references that are supposed to be funny only because they evoke taboo subjects.

                >(And if we're voting...The perfect fairy tale movie is the The Princess Bride!
                >Choosing anything else would be inconceivable!)

                I'm with David E. - a pre-film fan of the book who found the movie a bit disappointing. Not bad in any way, but the kidnapping sequence (even the sword fight) didn't have the epic grandeur it should have, and Robin Wright made a dull Buttercup (though she's improved much as an actress since then). On the other hand, both Cary Elwes as Wesley and Billy Crystal as Miracle Max surpassed all my expectations. Not as good as Shrek, but it plays in that league.
                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 4 11:13 AM
                  David Emerson <emerdavid@...> wrote:

                  >Speaking of fairy-tale movies in general, did anyone see the mini-series "The 10th
                  >Kingdom"? I believe it originally aired on the Hallmark Channel, but it's
                  >available on DVD (which is how I saw it). It's not great, but it does contain
                  >many choice bits skewering various fairy-tale conventions.

                  I saw part of that, at the instigation of a friend who loves it. It would have been much better than "Enchanted" if only it had been no longer than it. As it was I got very tired of it after a few hours, particularly of the guy who plays the wolf in a grating Method Acting style.

                  All I remember favorably at this distance was the blind lumber. When the heroes express skepticism that he can perform his profession, he booms, "Does a tree move?" This not being Tolkien, I guess it doesn't.
                • David Emerson
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 4 12:56 PM
                    >I saw part of ["The 10th Kingdom"], at the instigation of a friend who loves it. It would have been much better than "Enchanted" if only it had been no longer than it. As it was I got very tired of it after a few hours, particularly of the guy who plays the wolf in a grating Method Acting style.

                    Yes, that was one of the major failings. Scott Cohen was so much better just a year or two later as Lorelai Gilmore's love interest in "Gilmore Girls". But then, it's probably easier to be convincing as a prep school professor in love with a gorgeous woman than as a half-man half-wolf fairy tale character.

                    emerdavid

                    PeoplePC Online
                    A better way to Internet
                    http://www.peoplepc.com
                  • John D Rateliff
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 4 5:51 PM
                      On Jun 4, 2008, at 4:51 AM, Elizabeth Hardy wrote:
                      > (And if we're voting...The perfect fairy tale movie is the The
                      > Princess Bride! Choosing anything else would be inconceivable!)

                      PRINCESS BRIDE is a fun film, but my vote for the perfect fairy tale
                      movie -- or as near perfect as makes no difference -- is Miyazaki's
                      SPIRITED AWAY.
                      --John R.

                    • Lynn Maudlin
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 5 2:09 AM
                        It's one of those instances where I'm able to enjoy each for what they
                        are; I love the book (love it!) but I also love the movie (spectacular
                        casting! lulminous Robin Wright and Cary Elwes at his young sensitive
                        virile best, not to mention Mandy Patinkin and Wallace Shawn!) - in
                        fact, my only real complaint is the mediocre score (!! - I know, I
                        love Mark Knopfler - but being a great guitarist and pop musician does
                        *not* make one a great film composer; horrible music under the great
                        sword fight between Westley and Inigo at the top of the Cliffs of
                        Insanity - bleah).

                        -- Lynn --