one noble elderly hobbit ...

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 3 2:42 PM
      One noble elderly hobbit fights the massed brigades of Hollywood orcs.

      <http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/film/article3999008.ece>

      Be sure to read the comments at the end, as the commenters fumble over the question of whether the second of the films-to-come, the one set inbetween _The Hobbit_ and LOTR, would be based on material from _The Silmarillion_ or not.
    • Merlin DeTardo
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 3 8:02 PM
        --- David Bratman <dbratman@...> wrote:
        << One noble elderly hobbit fights the massed brigades of Hollywood
        orcs... Be sure to read the comments at the end, as the commenters
        fumble over the question of whether the second of the films-to-come,
        the one set inbetween _The Hobbit_ and LOTR, would be based on material
        from _The Silmarillion_ or not. >>

        To repeat a question asked in those comments, and elsewhere on the net
        since that article appeared: who is Christopher Tolkien's biographer,
        cited in the story as calling him "cantankerous"?

        -Merlin DeTardo
      • Doug Kane
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 4 4:51 PM
          Merlin DeTardo wrote:

          > To repeat a question asked in those comments, and elsewhere on the net
          > since that article appeared: who is Christopher Tolkien's biographer,
          > cited in the story as calling him "cantankerous"?

          Merlin, the only possibility that I can come up with is that they are referring to the citation that Carpenter makes in his biography of J.R.R.Tolkien from JRRT's diary stating that Christopher "had grown into 'a nervy, irritable, cross-grained, self-tormenting, cheeky person. Yet there is something intensely lovable about him, to me at any rate, from the very similarity between us'." (Carpenter, 172.) So far as I know, there have not been any biographies of Christopher Tolkien published, though others may correct me if I am wrong