Letter to the editors

  • dbratman
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 3, 2008
      (sent in response to this article <http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_9462669> on
      a production of "Das Rheingold" - the opening of my letter is a quote from
      the article)

      Dear sirs,

      "J.R.R. Tolkien went to great lengths to deny that he ripped off" Wagner's
      story for "The Lord of the Rings" (Sue Gilmore on "Das Rheingold," June 3)
      because it isn't true. Tolkien found themes of rings of power and tokens of
      invisibility in the same medieval sources that Wagner ripped off, and the
      story Tolkien fashioned out of them is quite different from Wagner's or
      anybody else's. Reporters need to free themselves from the assumption that
      just because they've only ever heard of two stories with magic rings in
      them, one author must have stolen it from the other. This knee-jerk
      conclusion was already around in Tolkien's time, and that's why he was so
      annoyed by it.

      Yours,

      David Bratman
    • Doug Kane
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 3, 2008
        David Bratman wrote:

        > (sent in response to this article <http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_9462669> on
        > a production of "Das Rheingold" - the opening of my letter is a quote from
        > the article)

        Thank you, David. I actually just saw that quote in that article, and was pondering whether to say anything about it. I'm glad that you did so!

      • David Emerson
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 3, 2008
          >Reporters need to free themselves from the assumption that
          >just because they've only ever heard of two stories with magic rings in
          >them, one author must have stolen it from the other. This knee-jerk
          >conclusion was already around in Tolkien's time, and that's why he was so
          >annoyed by it.

          Good one, David! Let 'em have it!

          emerdavid

          PeoplePC Online