Re: Prince Caspian Movie

  • Lynn Maudlin
    Message 1 of 15 , May 31, 2008
      It's hard for me, I love films - I love the medium, the possibility of
      inspired juxtapositions of visuals, costumes, lighting, effective
      acting, powerful story, sound effects and music - it *can* be
      extraordinary and, in the best circumstances, it's awesome and inspiring.

      The adaptation of beloved books is always problematic. Fr'instance,
      'The World According to Garp' - I never read the book and the movie
      worked really well for me, but everyone I know who read and loved the
      book was disappointed in the movie. I understand that dynamic. But
      'Prince Caspian,' specifically, had the opportunity of doing a really
      good faithful adaptation: the books is short, the plot is
      straightforward. The adapters simply decided they knew better (Boyens,
      et.al., anyone?) and that the essential lesson (it is your personal
      responsibility to follow and obey Aslan, whether anybody else sees Him
      or not) isn't *really* the essential lesson...

      As my daughter-in-law asked (unfamiliar with the books), "at the end
      when Aslan said Peter and Susan learned what they were meant to learn
      in Narnia, *what did they learn?*" Good question... uh, don't abandon
      Aslan in the woods because you'll have to go back and fetch Him
      later?! I have no idea what the film thought they learned; it
      certainly wasn't communicated with clarity.

      On the cheerier side of things, I am in love with 'Across the
      Universe' - for me, this film is art. At least worth a few bucks to
      rent it on DVD...

      -- Lynn --

      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Grace Monk" <gmariemonk@...> wrote:

      > I, on the other hand, do not mind being a TOTAL pain of a purist that
      > no one wants to go to movies with. I don't mind staying home by myself
      > with my books. <<evil grin>>
      >
      > Grace Walker Monk
      >
      > (My lovely 18-year-old took her 12-year-old brother to see this movie;
      > they have accepted that I, their book-crazed mother, feel no need to
      > torture myself by going to this set of movies that don't live up to
      > dearly loved books.)

    • Merlin DeTardo
      Message 2 of 15 , May 31, 2008
        --- "Lynn Maudlin" <lynnmaudlin@...> wrote:
        << But 'Prince Caspian,' specifically, had the opportunity of doing a
        really good faithful adaptation: the books is short, the plot is
        straightforward. >>

        I haven't seen the film yet, but here's a link:

        http://unlocked-wordhoard.blogspot.com/2008/05/review-of-prince-
        caspian.html

        ...to one reviewer who feels the film improves on its source, "by far
        the weakest of the Narnia series", because the "structure of the book
        is confused", and that the "film keeps the Christian themes, but has a
        pacing that children can tolerate".

        -Merlin DeTardo
      • David Emerson
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 1, 2008
          >... one reviewer who feels the film improves on its source, "by far
          >the weakest of the Narnia series", because the "structure of the book
          >is confused", and that the "film keeps the Christian themes, but has a
          >pacing that children can tolerate".

          While I agree that PC is the weakest of the books, and that the structural changes were a considerable improvement, and that the pacing may be more child-friendly, I can only partially support the statement that "the film keeps the Christian themes," since large chunks of the most Christian-themed scenes were removed. In fact, the wholly-invented storming-the-castle sequence contains a scene that seems actually antithetical to the mood and morality of Lewis's original.

          emerdavid

          PeoplePC Online
          A better way to Internet
          http://www.peoplepc.com
        • Lynn Maudlin
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 1, 2008
            I would argue they strip out Lewis' Christian theme and insert, in its
            place, this weird vague "we have to wait for Aslan" concept without
            ever following Him in the first place and ultimately sending Lucy to
            'fetch' Him...! *sheesh*

            I also really object to the idea that children have to have a certain
            level of adrenaline-inducing pacing - this is ultimately not healthy.

            And it bodes REALLY BADLY for Voyage of the Dawn Treader-- yikes!

            -- Lynn --