Re: Prince Caspian Movie

  • Elizabeth Hardy
    Message 1 of 15 , May 30, 2008
      I took my seven-year-old son to the film (matinee; there were only two other folks there, so we could whoop and cry all we wanted). I have major plot concerns, like nearly everyone else, but I did like many aspects of the film, particularly making the Telemarines Conquistadors--excellent touch leading to fabulous production design. ( I was not as thrilled with Prince Caspian as 23-year-old hottie, but I guess he won't have to grow up as much for VDT). Also, Caspian as a book is structually problematic for film makers, so some big changes were inevitable, and I wasn't terribly broken up over the removal of Bacchus, since all that business probably would not translate well either. I really have liked seeing train scenes added to both films (which were implied but not explicit in the books)--a wonderful foreshadowing of The Last Battle's eucastrophe! I also really liked the calling of the White Witch business in Aslan's How, and the young man who plays Edmund in these films
      is a gem. Regardless of how much I might carp about changes ( but I try to restrain myself;I don't want to be a whiny purist that no one wants to accompany to the movies!), my son and I had a wonderful time together. He sat on my lap most of the time, jumping and cheering and laughing at all the right places, and we had a wonderful talk on the way home, so for me, it's a hit. Also, I hope it makes boatloads of money so we get Dawn Treader, probably a given with all its CGI possibilities--dragons and sea serpents and dark islands-oh my! The last bit of that book is one of the most wonderful segments in all literature!
      Elizabeth

    • Lynn Maudlin
      Message 2 of 15 , May 30, 2008
        I'm ambivalent; on one hand, it was a neat visual sequence and
        effective; on the other hand it was egregious in misrepresenting the
        character (nature) of both Caspian and Peter, showing both of them
        tempted to call the White Witch back.

        This is a place where I think something closer to the book could have
        been sooo effective. In the book Peter and Edmund stand outside the
        door, listening to the temptation, hear Caspian reject the unholy
        help, and come in to help in the battle. Film can improve that by
        cutting from ASLAN directing Peter and Edmund to go "deal with what
        (they) find" at Aslan's How to the events as they start to unfold,
        back to Peter & Edmund traveling as quickly as they can, etc. (can
        have several back & forth cuts to build tension) and they burst in and
        have to immediately assess the danger (Tilda Swinton looming large can
        still work) and act quickly.

        But I'm bothered by the idea that Caspian and Peter are actually
        portrayed as TEMPTED to bring back the White Witch! No no no no no no!

        *sigh*

        I do, however, know just what you mean about being a purist and a pain!

        -- Lynn --

        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Elizabeth Hardy <britomart3@...> wrote:

        > I also really liked the calling of the White Witch business in
        Aslan's How, and the young man who plays Edmund in these films is a
        gem. Regardless of how much I might carp about changes ( but I try to
        restrain myself;I don't want to be a whiny purist that no one wants to
        accompany to the movies!), my son and I had a wonderful time together.
        He sat on my lap most of the time, jumping and cheering and laughing
        at all the right places, and we had a wonderful talk on the way home,
        so for me, it's a hit. Also, I hope it makes boatloads of money so we
        get Dawn Treader, probably a given with all its CGI
        possibilities--dragons and sea serpents and dark islands-oh my! The
        last bit of that book is one of the most wonderful segments in all
        literature!
        > Elizabeth

      • Grace Monk
        Message 3 of 15 , May 30, 2008
          I, on the other hand, do not mind being a TOTAL pain of a purist that
          no one wants to go to movies with. I don't mind staying home by myself
          with my books. <<evil grin>>

          Grace Walker Monk

          (My lovely 18-year-old took her 12-year-old brother to see this movie;
          they have accepted that I, their book-crazed mother, feel no need to
          torture myself by going to this set of movies that don't live up to
          dearly loved books.)

          On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 7:02 PM, Lynn Maudlin <lynnmaudlin@...> wrote:
          > I'm ambivalent; on one hand, it was a neat visual sequence and
          > effective; on the other hand it was egregious in misrepresenting the
          > character (nature) of both Caspian and Peter, showing both of them
          > tempted to call the White Witch back.
          >
          > This is a place where I think something closer to the book could have
          > been sooo effective. In the book Peter and Edmund stand outside the
          > door, listening to the temptation, hear Caspian reject the unholy
          > help, and come in to help in the battle. Film can improve that by
          > cutting from ASLAN directing Peter and Edmund to go "deal with what
          > (they) find" at Aslan's How to the events as they start to unfold,
          > back to Peter & Edmund traveling as quickly as they can, etc. (can
          > have several back & forth cuts to build tension) and they burst in and
          > have to immediately assess the danger (Tilda Swinton looming large can
          > still work) and act quickly.
          >
          > But I'm bothered by the idea that Caspian and Peter are actually
          > portrayed as TEMPTED to bring back the White Witch! No no no no no no!
          >
          > *sigh*
          >
          > I do, however, know just what you mean about being a purist and a pain!
          >
          > -- Lynn --
          >
          > --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Elizabeth Hardy <britomart3@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> I also really liked the calling of the White Witch business in
          > Aslan's How, and the young man who plays Edmund in these films is a
          > gem. Regardless of how much I might carp about changes ( but I try to
          > restrain myself;I don't want to be a whiny purist that no one wants to
          > accompany to the movies!), my son and I had a wonderful time together.
          > He sat on my lap most of the time, jumping and cheering and laughing
          > at all the right places, and we had a wonderful talk on the way home,
          > so for me, it's a hit. Also, I hope it makes boatloads of money so we
          > get Dawn Treader, probably a given with all its CGI
          > possibilities--dragons and sea serpents and dark islands-oh my! The
          > last bit of that book is one of the most wonderful segments in all
          > literature!
          >> Elizabeth

        • Lynn Maudlin
          Message 4 of 15 , May 31, 2008
            It's hard for me, I love films - I love the medium, the possibility of
            inspired juxtapositions of visuals, costumes, lighting, effective
            acting, powerful story, sound effects and music - it *can* be
            extraordinary and, in the best circumstances, it's awesome and inspiring.

            The adaptation of beloved books is always problematic. Fr'instance,
            'The World According to Garp' - I never read the book and the movie
            worked really well for me, but everyone I know who read and loved the
            book was disappointed in the movie. I understand that dynamic. But
            'Prince Caspian,' specifically, had the opportunity of doing a really
            good faithful adaptation: the books is short, the plot is
            straightforward. The adapters simply decided they knew better (Boyens,
            et.al., anyone?) and that the essential lesson (it is your personal
            responsibility to follow and obey Aslan, whether anybody else sees Him
            or not) isn't *really* the essential lesson...

            As my daughter-in-law asked (unfamiliar with the books), "at the end
            when Aslan said Peter and Susan learned what they were meant to learn
            in Narnia, *what did they learn?*" Good question... uh, don't abandon
            Aslan in the woods because you'll have to go back and fetch Him
            later?! I have no idea what the film thought they learned; it
            certainly wasn't communicated with clarity.

            On the cheerier side of things, I am in love with 'Across the
            Universe' - for me, this film is art. At least worth a few bucks to
            rent it on DVD...

            -- Lynn --

            --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Grace Monk" <gmariemonk@...> wrote:

            > I, on the other hand, do not mind being a TOTAL pain of a purist that
            > no one wants to go to movies with. I don't mind staying home by myself
            > with my books. <<evil grin>>
            >
            > Grace Walker Monk
            >
            > (My lovely 18-year-old took her 12-year-old brother to see this movie;
            > they have accepted that I, their book-crazed mother, feel no need to
            > torture myself by going to this set of movies that don't live up to
            > dearly loved books.)

          • Merlin DeTardo
            Message 5 of 15 , May 31, 2008
              --- "Lynn Maudlin" <lynnmaudlin@...> wrote:
              << But 'Prince Caspian,' specifically, had the opportunity of doing a
              really good faithful adaptation: the books is short, the plot is
              straightforward. >>

              I haven't seen the film yet, but here's a link:

              http://unlocked-wordhoard.blogspot.com/2008/05/review-of-prince-
              caspian.html

              ...to one reviewer who feels the film improves on its source, "by far
              the weakest of the Narnia series", because the "structure of the book
              is confused", and that the "film keeps the Christian themes, but has a
              pacing that children can tolerate".

              -Merlin DeTardo
            • David Emerson
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 1, 2008
                >... one reviewer who feels the film improves on its source, "by far
                >the weakest of the Narnia series", because the "structure of the book
                >is confused", and that the "film keeps the Christian themes, but has a
                >pacing that children can tolerate".

                While I agree that PC is the weakest of the books, and that the structural changes were a considerable improvement, and that the pacing may be more child-friendly, I can only partially support the statement that "the film keeps the Christian themes," since large chunks of the most Christian-themed scenes were removed. In fact, the wholly-invented storming-the-castle sequence contains a scene that seems actually antithetical to the mood and morality of Lewis's original.

                emerdavid

                PeoplePC Online
                A better way to Internet
                http://www.peoplepc.com
              • Lynn Maudlin
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 1, 2008
                  I would argue they strip out Lewis' Christian theme and insert, in its
                  place, this weird vague "we have to wait for Aslan" concept without
                  ever following Him in the first place and ultimately sending Lucy to
                  'fetch' Him...! *sheesh*

                  I also really object to the idea that children have to have a certain
                  level of adrenaline-inducing pacing - this is ultimately not healthy.

                  And it bodes REALLY BADLY for Voyage of the Dawn Treader-- yikes!

                  -- Lynn --