Re: Dawn Treader

  • Lynn Maudlin
    Message 1 of 3 , May 29 11:29 AM
      I actually think it *could* be done well, with a REALLY good director
      and an inspired script! Have you seen "Amazing Grace" by Apted? Mike
      Glyer & I went together (Diana was busy elsewhere that day) and we
      came out and Mike said, "who knew you could make a compelling movie
      about moving a law through Parliament?"

      So if anyone is capable of making an effective episodic Narnia film, I
      think Apted would be among the few.

      I know, I'm an optimist and I live in hope...!

      -- Lynn --

      > >From: Lynn Maudlin <lynnmaudlin@...>
      > >
      > >And thus far Narnia has suffered similar Jacsonification ("gee, there
      > >aren't enough battle sequences in 'Prince Caspian' and if we strip out
      > >all the Bacchus stuff and all the 'following Aslan even if nobody else
      > >can see Him' stuff, there's not much story there... I know, let's have
      > >another battle! yeah!!"). I have some hopes for 'Voyage of the Dawn
      > >Treader' because they're going with Michael Apted (directed 'Amazing
      > >Grace' on Wilberforce) and a different screenwriter - still, it could
      > >be so badly mangled... *shudder*
      >
      > The 2 problems with "Voyage of the Dawn Treader" are (1) it is very
      episodic, rather than a single-goal type of story that most of the
      other books are; and (2) so much of the important "action" is interior
      to the characters. My great fear is that the filmmakers deal with #1
      by uneven pacing (spending far too much time on the slave traders, the
      sea serpent, and whatever they decide to invent), and with #2 by
      jettisoning all the spritiual/emotional dimension and replacing it
      with action (see #1).

      > It's too bad. "Dawn Treader" is my favorite book of the seven, but
      it's the least film-worthy IMHO.