Re: Dawn Treader

  • Merlin DeTardo
    Message 1 of 3 , May 29, 2008
      --- David Emerson <emerdavid@...> wrote:
      << It's too bad. "Dawn Treader" is my favorite book of the seven, but
      it's the least film-worthy IMHO. >>

      I've read several film critics who make the same comment generally: the
      best books and stories are often the works least suited for adaptation,
      because their greatness is inseparable from their form. For one
      example, read Stanley Kauffmann discussing John Huston's film of James
      Joyce's "The Dead". Among other points, Kauffmann notes the story's
      first sentence, "Lily, the caretaker's daughter, was literally run off
      her feet", and asks: how does one film that "literally"? (I think
      Kauffmann's remarks can be found in his 1994 collection,
      _Distinguishing Features: Film Criticism and Comment_; sorry I haven't
      got the book to provide a page reference.)

      -Merlin DeTardo
    • Lynn Maudlin
      Message 2 of 3 , May 29, 2008
        I actually think it *could* be done well, with a REALLY good director
        and an inspired script! Have you seen "Amazing Grace" by Apted? Mike
        Glyer & I went together (Diana was busy elsewhere that day) and we
        came out and Mike said, "who knew you could make a compelling movie
        about moving a law through Parliament?"

        So if anyone is capable of making an effective episodic Narnia film, I
        think Apted would be among the few.

        I know, I'm an optimist and I live in hope...!

        -- Lynn --

        > >From: Lynn Maudlin <lynnmaudlin@...>
        > >
        > >And thus far Narnia has suffered similar Jacsonification ("gee, there
        > >aren't enough battle sequences in 'Prince Caspian' and if we strip out
        > >all the Bacchus stuff and all the 'following Aslan even if nobody else
        > >can see Him' stuff, there's not much story there... I know, let's have
        > >another battle! yeah!!"). I have some hopes for 'Voyage of the Dawn
        > >Treader' because they're going with Michael Apted (directed 'Amazing
        > >Grace' on Wilberforce) and a different screenwriter - still, it could
        > >be so badly mangled... *shudder*
        >
        > The 2 problems with "Voyage of the Dawn Treader" are (1) it is very
        episodic, rather than a single-goal type of story that most of the
        other books are; and (2) so much of the important "action" is interior
        to the characters. My great fear is that the filmmakers deal with #1
        by uneven pacing (spending far too much time on the slave traders, the
        sea serpent, and whatever they decide to invent), and with #2 by
        jettisoning all the spritiual/emotional dimension and replacing it
        with action (see #1).