Dawn Treader

  • David Emerson
    Message 1 of 3 , May 29, 2008
      >From: Lynn Maudlin <lynnmaudlin@...>
      >
      >And thus far Narnia has suffered similar Jacsonification ("gee, there
      >aren't enough battle sequences in 'Prince Caspian' and if we strip out
      >all the Bacchus stuff and all the 'following Aslan even if nobody else
      >can see Him' stuff, there's not much story there... I know, let's have
      >another battle! yeah!!"). I have some hopes for 'Voyage of the Dawn
      >Treader' because they're going with Michael Apted (directed 'Amazing
      >Grace' on Wilberforce) and a different screenwriter - still, it could
      >be so badly mangled... *shudder*

      The 2 problems with "Voyage of the Dawn Treader" are (1) it is very episodic, rather than a single-goal type of story that most of the other books are; and (2) so much of the important "action" is interior to the characters. My great fear is that the filmmakers deal with #1 by uneven pacing (spending far too much time on the slave traders, the sea serpent, and whatever they decide to invent), and with #2 by jettisoning all the spritiual/emotional dimension and replacing it with action (see #1).

      It's too bad. "Dawn Treader" is my favorite book of the seven, but it's the least film-worthy IMHO.

      emerdavid

      PeoplePC Online
      A better way to Internet
      http://www.peoplepc.com
    • Merlin DeTardo
      Message 2 of 3 , May 29, 2008
        --- David Emerson <emerdavid@...> wrote:
        << It's too bad. "Dawn Treader" is my favorite book of the seven, but
        it's the least film-worthy IMHO. >>

        I've read several film critics who make the same comment generally: the
        best books and stories are often the works least suited for adaptation,
        because their greatness is inseparable from their form. For one
        example, read Stanley Kauffmann discussing John Huston's film of James
        Joyce's "The Dead". Among other points, Kauffmann notes the story's
        first sentence, "Lily, the caretaker's daughter, was literally run off
        her feet", and asks: how does one film that "literally"? (I think
        Kauffmann's remarks can be found in his 1994 collection,
        _Distinguishing Features: Film Criticism and Comment_; sorry I haven't
        got the book to provide a page reference.)

        -Merlin DeTardo
      • Lynn Maudlin
        Message 3 of 3 , May 29, 2008
          I actually think it *could* be done well, with a REALLY good director
          and an inspired script! Have you seen "Amazing Grace" by Apted? Mike
          Glyer & I went together (Diana was busy elsewhere that day) and we
          came out and Mike said, "who knew you could make a compelling movie
          about moving a law through Parliament?"

          So if anyone is capable of making an effective episodic Narnia film, I
          think Apted would be among the few.

          I know, I'm an optimist and I live in hope...!

          -- Lynn --