Re: Digest Number 49

  • W.B.Honey
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 16, 1999
      From: Diane Baker <dianejoy@...>
      Subject: Re: Awards etc

      W.B.Honey wrote:

      > >I saw the Mythopoeic Award nominations in Ansible, but not listed on the
      Mythopoeic website. Are they official yet?

      > >Red
      >
      > >>Tomorrow's the last day for the vote on the "final list." We'd love to
      >have your input on next year's Mythopoeic Awards committee. ---djb.<<
      >
      >Does that mean the ansible list wasn't the final list, or that the final
      >votes for who won on that list are still to come?

      Final votes are still to come.

      it seems to unpick (like a Gene Wolfe novel) from something
      >that, on first reading seemed light and funny and almost an exercise in
      >pastiche (Hope Mirrlees, Dunsany, Cabell, jack Vance, maybe E. Nesbit) to
      something that seemed to get deeper and more intricate with each reading.

      >>I'm a fan of Gene Wolfe myself. What have you read by him?

      Everything I've been able to lay my hands on, although The Book of the New
      Sun is the best thing he's done so far, I think.

      >I thought it very appropriate too that the
      >awards nominated the illustrated edition - I'm sure JRRT would have >liked
      something like that.

      >>You may be right. The illos were neat, and really give a sense of
      whimsy.

      >No interest in the Lord of the Rings movies. My head has not yet managed to
      expunge the taste of the BBC Narnia films.

      >>Are you talking about the Wonderworks version, or the animated ones?
      ---djb.

      Live action with a little animation thrown in. Half hour episodes. Showed up
      on PBS a few years ago.

      red