Re: [mythsoc] Prince Caspian Movie

  • John D Rateliff
    Message 1 of 15 , May 19 1:02 PM
      I have not seen it, but I did see the tableful of film tie-in books.
      There was quite a raft of them: the OFFICIAL MOVIE COMPANION, THE
      CRAFTING OF NARNIA (by Weta Workshop), two 'I Can Read' books
      (LUCY'S JOURNEY and THIS IS NARNIA), two little picture books rather
      like the Little Golden Books of days gone by (THE TAIL OF REEPICHEEP
      and CASPIAN'S ARMY), a Reusable Sticker Book, a Coloring & Activity
      Book (with three HarperCollins double crayons provided!). And in
      addition they had the dvd of the old BBC PRINCE CASPIAN film, as well
      as a Puzzle Book and, strangest of all, the 'NARNIA MONOPOLY'
      boardgame. Something for everybody, I suppose.
      --JDR

      On May 18, 2008, at 1:06 PM, Margaret Dean wrote:
      > Has anyone seen this yet?
      >
      > If so, what were your impressions?
      >
      > It snuck up on me, since I'd had very little news of it in the
      > interim between the first movie and now.
      >
      > --Margaret Dean
    • Lynn Maudlin
      Message 2 of 15 , May 19 4:44 PM
        I went to see it Friday w/my son, daughter-in-law & two grandkids (!!)
        - drove up to Lancaster (so we met sort of half-way in the middle) and
        then up to their home for the weekend; I had to immediately pull out
        the nice Folio Society edition of Narnia that I bought Shannon years
        back and start reading out loud because I didn't want my grandkids (8
        & 6) to think THAT was Peter.

        Appalling adaptation. Let's invent non-existent battles so we can show
        the devastation of war, losing Narnians because of stupidity and
        in-fighting SIMULTANEOUSLY let us NOT show a hero killing someone in a
        "fight to the death" combat challenge.

        I rant more at my blog:
        <www.lynnmaudlin.com/wordpress>

        -- Lynn --

        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Margaret Dean <margdean@...> wrote:

        > Has anyone seen this yet?
        >
        > If so, what were your impressions?
        >
        > It snuck up on me, since I'd had very little news of it in the
        > interim between the first movie and now.
        >

        > --Margaret Dean
        > <margdean@...>

      • Elizabeth Hardy
        Message 3 of 15 , May 30 6:10 AM
          I took my seven-year-old son to the film (matinee; there were only two other folks there, so we could whoop and cry all we wanted). I have major plot concerns, like nearly everyone else, but I did like many aspects of the film, particularly making the Telemarines Conquistadors--excellent touch leading to fabulous production design. ( I was not as thrilled with Prince Caspian as 23-year-old hottie, but I guess he won't have to grow up as much for VDT). Also, Caspian as a book is structually problematic for film makers, so some big changes were inevitable, and I wasn't terribly broken up over the removal of Bacchus, since all that business probably would not translate well either. I really have liked seeing train scenes added to both films (which were implied but not explicit in the books)--a wonderful foreshadowing of The Last Battle's eucastrophe! I also really liked the calling of the White Witch business in Aslan's How, and the young man who plays Edmund in these films
          is a gem. Regardless of how much I might carp about changes ( but I try to restrain myself;I don't want to be a whiny purist that no one wants to accompany to the movies!), my son and I had a wonderful time together. He sat on my lap most of the time, jumping and cheering and laughing at all the right places, and we had a wonderful talk on the way home, so for me, it's a hit. Also, I hope it makes boatloads of money so we get Dawn Treader, probably a given with all its CGI possibilities--dragons and sea serpents and dark islands-oh my! The last bit of that book is one of the most wonderful segments in all literature!
          Elizabeth

        • Lynn Maudlin
          Message 4 of 15 , May 30 5:02 PM
            I'm ambivalent; on one hand, it was a neat visual sequence and
            effective; on the other hand it was egregious in misrepresenting the
            character (nature) of both Caspian and Peter, showing both of them
            tempted to call the White Witch back.

            This is a place where I think something closer to the book could have
            been sooo effective. In the book Peter and Edmund stand outside the
            door, listening to the temptation, hear Caspian reject the unholy
            help, and come in to help in the battle. Film can improve that by
            cutting from ASLAN directing Peter and Edmund to go "deal with what
            (they) find" at Aslan's How to the events as they start to unfold,
            back to Peter & Edmund traveling as quickly as they can, etc. (can
            have several back & forth cuts to build tension) and they burst in and
            have to immediately assess the danger (Tilda Swinton looming large can
            still work) and act quickly.

            But I'm bothered by the idea that Caspian and Peter are actually
            portrayed as TEMPTED to bring back the White Witch! No no no no no no!

            *sigh*

            I do, however, know just what you mean about being a purist and a pain!

            -- Lynn --

            --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Elizabeth Hardy <britomart3@...> wrote:

            > I also really liked the calling of the White Witch business in
            Aslan's How, and the young man who plays Edmund in these films is a
            gem. Regardless of how much I might carp about changes ( but I try to
            restrain myself;I don't want to be a whiny purist that no one wants to
            accompany to the movies!), my son and I had a wonderful time together.
            He sat on my lap most of the time, jumping and cheering and laughing
            at all the right places, and we had a wonderful talk on the way home,
            so for me, it's a hit. Also, I hope it makes boatloads of money so we
            get Dawn Treader, probably a given with all its CGI
            possibilities--dragons and sea serpents and dark islands-oh my! The
            last bit of that book is one of the most wonderful segments in all
            literature!
            > Elizabeth

          • Grace Monk
            Message 5 of 15 , May 30 5:29 PM
              I, on the other hand, do not mind being a TOTAL pain of a purist that
              no one wants to go to movies with. I don't mind staying home by myself
              with my books. <<evil grin>>

              Grace Walker Monk

              (My lovely 18-year-old took her 12-year-old brother to see this movie;
              they have accepted that I, their book-crazed mother, feel no need to
              torture myself by going to this set of movies that don't live up to
              dearly loved books.)

              On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 7:02 PM, Lynn Maudlin <lynnmaudlin@...> wrote:
              > I'm ambivalent; on one hand, it was a neat visual sequence and
              > effective; on the other hand it was egregious in misrepresenting the
              > character (nature) of both Caspian and Peter, showing both of them
              > tempted to call the White Witch back.
              >
              > This is a place where I think something closer to the book could have
              > been sooo effective. In the book Peter and Edmund stand outside the
              > door, listening to the temptation, hear Caspian reject the unholy
              > help, and come in to help in the battle. Film can improve that by
              > cutting from ASLAN directing Peter and Edmund to go "deal with what
              > (they) find" at Aslan's How to the events as they start to unfold,
              > back to Peter & Edmund traveling as quickly as they can, etc. (can
              > have several back & forth cuts to build tension) and they burst in and
              > have to immediately assess the danger (Tilda Swinton looming large can
              > still work) and act quickly.
              >
              > But I'm bothered by the idea that Caspian and Peter are actually
              > portrayed as TEMPTED to bring back the White Witch! No no no no no no!
              >
              > *sigh*
              >
              > I do, however, know just what you mean about being a purist and a pain!
              >
              > -- Lynn --
              >
              > --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Elizabeth Hardy <britomart3@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> I also really liked the calling of the White Witch business in
              > Aslan's How, and the young man who plays Edmund in these films is a
              > gem. Regardless of how much I might carp about changes ( but I try to
              > restrain myself;I don't want to be a whiny purist that no one wants to
              > accompany to the movies!), my son and I had a wonderful time together.
              > He sat on my lap most of the time, jumping and cheering and laughing
              > at all the right places, and we had a wonderful talk on the way home,
              > so for me, it's a hit. Also, I hope it makes boatloads of money so we
              > get Dawn Treader, probably a given with all its CGI
              > possibilities--dragons and sea serpents and dark islands-oh my! The
              > last bit of that book is one of the most wonderful segments in all
              > literature!
              >> Elizabeth

            • Lynn Maudlin
              Message 6 of 15 , May 31 1:38 PM
                It's hard for me, I love films - I love the medium, the possibility of
                inspired juxtapositions of visuals, costumes, lighting, effective
                acting, powerful story, sound effects and music - it *can* be
                extraordinary and, in the best circumstances, it's awesome and inspiring.

                The adaptation of beloved books is always problematic. Fr'instance,
                'The World According to Garp' - I never read the book and the movie
                worked really well for me, but everyone I know who read and loved the
                book was disappointed in the movie. I understand that dynamic. But
                'Prince Caspian,' specifically, had the opportunity of doing a really
                good faithful adaptation: the books is short, the plot is
                straightforward. The adapters simply decided they knew better (Boyens,
                et.al., anyone?) and that the essential lesson (it is your personal
                responsibility to follow and obey Aslan, whether anybody else sees Him
                or not) isn't *really* the essential lesson...

                As my daughter-in-law asked (unfamiliar with the books), "at the end
                when Aslan said Peter and Susan learned what they were meant to learn
                in Narnia, *what did they learn?*" Good question... uh, don't abandon
                Aslan in the woods because you'll have to go back and fetch Him
                later?! I have no idea what the film thought they learned; it
                certainly wasn't communicated with clarity.

                On the cheerier side of things, I am in love with 'Across the
                Universe' - for me, this film is art. At least worth a few bucks to
                rent it on DVD...

                -- Lynn --

                --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Grace Monk" <gmariemonk@...> wrote:

                > I, on the other hand, do not mind being a TOTAL pain of a purist that
                > no one wants to go to movies with. I don't mind staying home by myself
                > with my books. <<evil grin>>
                >
                > Grace Walker Monk
                >
                > (My lovely 18-year-old took her 12-year-old brother to see this movie;
                > they have accepted that I, their book-crazed mother, feel no need to
                > torture myself by going to this set of movies that don't live up to
                > dearly loved books.)

              • Merlin DeTardo
                Message 7 of 15 , May 31 11:29 PM
                  --- "Lynn Maudlin" <lynnmaudlin@...> wrote:
                  << But 'Prince Caspian,' specifically, had the opportunity of doing a
                  really good faithful adaptation: the books is short, the plot is
                  straightforward. >>

                  I haven't seen the film yet, but here's a link:

                  http://unlocked-wordhoard.blogspot.com/2008/05/review-of-prince-
                  caspian.html

                  ...to one reviewer who feels the film improves on its source, "by far
                  the weakest of the Narnia series", because the "structure of the book
                  is confused", and that the "film keeps the Christian themes, but has a
                  pacing that children can tolerate".

                  -Merlin DeTardo
                • David Emerson
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 1, 2008
                    >... one reviewer who feels the film improves on its source, "by far
                    >the weakest of the Narnia series", because the "structure of the book
                    >is confused", and that the "film keeps the Christian themes, but has a
                    >pacing that children can tolerate".

                    While I agree that PC is the weakest of the books, and that the structural changes were a considerable improvement, and that the pacing may be more child-friendly, I can only partially support the statement that "the film keeps the Christian themes," since large chunks of the most Christian-themed scenes were removed. In fact, the wholly-invented storming-the-castle sequence contains a scene that seems actually antithetical to the mood and morality of Lewis's original.

                    emerdavid

                    PeoplePC Online
                    A better way to Internet
                    http://www.peoplepc.com
                  • Lynn Maudlin
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 1, 2008
                      I would argue they strip out Lewis' Christian theme and insert, in its
                      place, this weird vague "we have to wait for Aslan" concept without
                      ever following Him in the first place and ultimately sending Lucy to
                      'fetch' Him...! *sheesh*

                      I also really object to the idea that children have to have a certain
                      level of adrenaline-inducing pacing - this is ultimately not healthy.

                      And it bodes REALLY BADLY for Voyage of the Dawn Treader-- yikes!

                      -- Lynn --