Re: Man and place and season

  • Lynn Maudlin
    Message 1 of 9 , May 17 11:26 AM
      Of course - Tolkien is *popular*...
      -- Lynn --

      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Carl F. Hostetter" <Aelfwine@...>
      wrote:

      > "In probably no
      > major Occidental work of fiction is one so constantly aware of the
      > seasons and the phases of the moon."
      >
      > Needless to say, we here all in fact know of _one_ "major
      Occidental
      > work" that is striking in this characteristic. (And, unlike the
      > _Genji_, which as a work of the Orient referred all times and
      seasons
      > to a lunar calendar, the prominence of the moon in _The Lord of
      the
      > Rings_ is far from inevitable.) Alas, I expect academic blinders
      > excluded Tolkien from Seidensticker's survey of "major Occidental
      > works".
      >
      > Carl

    • David Emerson
      Message 2 of 9 , May 17 3:17 PM
        Many thanks, Lynn. This kind of info is a BIG help in doing my planning & budgeting.

        Message 3 of 9 , May 18 5:52 PM
          Many thanks for the info, (especially since I'd already booked my
          flights--in on Thursday and out on Monday!) Cheers! Marcie

          --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn Maudlin" <lynnmaudlin@...>

          Message 4 of 9 , May 18 6:36 PM
            Lynn wrote:

            >Hey David (and other curious parties) - I am seriously nudging the
            >concom to get the room & board prices up there - suffice it to say
            >they are LESS than last year at Berkeley (which is a Very Nice
            >Thing!).

            Thanks, Lynn. It would be useful to know fuller details. We've been trying
            to find them out also.

            Wayne and Christina

          • Lynn Maudlin
            Message 5 of 9 , May 20 9:25 PM
              I so look forward to seeing you guys! Ah, the old days working on the
              Tolkien Centenary and I could fly to England on the drop of a hat--!
              (a rather large hat, mind you, but with some frequency).

              I *believe* more info will be on the website very soon but feel free
              to email me (my email ends AT yahoo.com; I believe the beginning is
              visible).

              blessings,
              -- Lynn --

              --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne G. Hammond"