oxford visit

  • saraciborski
    Message 1 of 10 , May 16, 2008
      A practical question: I am going to England in a few days--a long-
      planned vacation-type trip--and I will have one day to spend in Oxford.
      And of course--for this, in particular, is long-desired-- I would like
      to visit Tolkien's grave. I see on my road atlas (I will be driving)
      that Wolvercote, the town, is somewhat to the northwest of Oxford.
      So...can I assume that Wolvercote cemetery is in the town of
      Wolvercote? And is it hard to find? Many on this list must have been
      there and I am grateful for any driving instructions you might be able
      to provide.
      Thanks,
      Sara Ciborski
      Message 2 of 10 , May 16, 2008
        Sara -

        Wolvercote is a village at the edge of the Oxford conurbation, but the cemetery isn't actually in it, in the sense that you don't get there by driving to Wolvercote and then looking for the cemetery. You won't find it that way. The way to get there is by road directions.

        From central Oxford, take the Banbury Road - which is one of the main north roads out of town, a continuation of St. Giles High Street (where the Eagle and Child pub is) - out past the ring road that circles Oxford.

        Or, if you're coming along the ring road, take it around to north Oxford and look for the A4165, which is the highway number of the Banbury Road, and take it in the direction away from Oxford.

        Drive one more block along Banbury Road away from Oxford past the ring road, and the cemetery is just there on the left. There's street parking on the side streets. There are, or were when I was last there, little markers directing you to Tolkien's grave.

        There are various online guides to Tolkien's Oxford. This one is pretty good: <http://users.ox.ac.uk/~tolksoc/TolkiensOxford/>. I would recommend visiting a college or two and a couple of the Inklings' pubs and the Botanical Gardens, and driving past some of Tolkien's residences, as the Tolkien part of a day in Oxford. But of course there's much more to see. The central university buildings, wonderful museums, and Blackwell's bookshop.

        Which colleges to see may depend on which ones are open. Tourists are treated very much on sufferance in colleges, which are working academic institutions. Magdalen College should be your top priority: it's one of the most beautiful, it has the deer park and the river walks (where Tolkien and Lewis had the conversation that led to Lewis's conversion), and the Inklings usually met for evening readings in Lewis's rooms in the 18th century New Buildings. After that, either Merton or Exeter for the Tolkien connections, or if neither of those are available, I'd recommend either Christ Church (very grand and impressive) or nearby Corpus Christi (very small and attractive - Tolkien's friend G.B. Smith went here and his name is on the chapel board of college men lost in World War I).

        David Bratman

        >A practical question: I am going to England in a few days--a long-
        >planned vacation-type trip--and I will have one day to spend in Oxford.
        >And of course--for this, in particular, is long-desired-- I would like
        >to visit Tolkien's grave. I see on my road atlas (I will be driving)
        >that Wolvercote, the town, is somewhat to the northwest of Oxford.
        >So...can I assume that Wolvercote cemetery is in the town of
        >Wolvercote? And is it hard to find? Many on this list must have been
        >there and I am grateful for any driving instructions you might be able
        >to provide.
        >Thanks,
        >Sara Ciborski

      • Sara Ciborski
        Message 3 of 10 , May 16, 2008
          Thank you, David. This is extremely helpful, both the directions and the
          suggestions for what to see.
          Sara

          Message 4 of 10 , May 16, 2008
            Do you realize that cars are banned from central Oxford?

            In a message dated 5/16/2008 12:20:57 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
            saraciborski@... writes:

            A practical question: I am going to England in a few days--a long-
            planned vacation-type trip--and I will have one day to spend in Oxford.
            And of course--for this, in particular, is long-desired-And of course--for
            to visit Tolkien's grave. I see on my road atlas (I will be driving)
            that Wolvercote, the town, is somewhat to the northwest of Oxford.
            So...can I assume that Wolvercote cemetery is in the town of
            Wolvercote? And is it hard to find? Many on this list must have been
            there and I am grateful for any driving instructions you might be able
            to provide.
            Thanks,
            Sara Ciborski

            favorites at AOL Food.

          • Sara Ciborski
            Message 5 of 10 , May 17, 2008
              Yes. I believe there are Park & Ride places on the outskirts with buses
              to take one into the center.
              Thanks.

              Message 6 of 10 , May 17, 2008
                WendellWag@... wrote:

                >Do you realize that cars are banned from central Oxford?

                Many of the streets in the immediate university district are closed to driving - more than there were when I first visited there - but not all in the broader central city. There are many parking lots (assuming you can find a space) on the immediate north side within easy walking distance of the university district. It'd be misleading to say cars are banned from "central Oxford" the way that there's a congestion charge in "central London" which is a huge place.

                Sara is right, though; the Park and Ride lots are the best thing to use. And in fact there's one near the junction of the A34 and A40 which is within walking distance of Wolvercote Cemetery. But you can still orient yourself by taking the viewpoint of central Oxford and saying "it's out the Banbury Road."
                Message 7 of 10 , May 17, 2008
                  Sara Ciborski <saraciborski@...> wrote:

                  >Thank you, David. This is extremely helpful, both the directions and the
                  >suggestions for what to see.

                  A few other comments besides the parking one which frankly had slipped my mind:

                  1) I was going to say, don't try to visit more than two colleges in one day, certainly not on your first visit. You'll get colleged out. That was why I suggested selecting two. I have the authority of none less than Jane Austen that they all begin to look alike if you try to take in too many at once.

                  2) Though the Inklings' favorite pub and their traditional noon meeting place in post-WW2 years is the Eagle and Child, they had some other favorite pubs. The one I like best is the Kings Arms at the east end of Broad Street (corner of Holywell and Parks Road), which is where Tolkien and others would meet Lewis when he was researching at the Bodleian. The White Horse next to Blackwell's has the best cider. Then there's their country pub, The Trout Inn - now that, unlike the cemetery, actually is in Wolvercote, though its location is usually given as Godstow (which is not a village, just the name of the ruined abbey). Drive into Wolvercote from the main road to the east, through both halves of the village (the upper town with the town pub and the lower town with the village green) and out the other side, and a bit along the twisty road is the Trout. Beautiful site along the river - it was to the meadows around here that the Rev. Dodgson rowed the Liddell sisters on the day he told them the story about the little girl and the rabbit.

                  3) Check your map carefully before you head to the cemetery area or the park-and-ride at that end of town. The highway layout is confusing, and you're liable to find yourself shooting off towards Bicester or Witney before you realize where you're going. That happened on my first visit. A GPS system might be better to have in a car in Britain than in the US, as it's harder to use a map while driving - everyone drives very fast, there are few places to pull over, and not many traffic lights to stop at.

                  4) A few of Tolkien's residences were in the central city in easy walking distance, but if you want to see his main homes (Northmoor Road and Sandfield Road) it's best to drive if you're making a quick visit. They're a pleasant but very long walk away. None of them are open for visitors; just admire them from the street.

                  5) Did you want to see C.S. Lewis's home, The Kilns? That is open to visitors, but you have to make an appointment in advance. Info at <http://www.cslewis.org/programs/kilns/kilnstour.htm>. That's way out beyond the ring road on the Headington side of town (to the east), at the end of a little suburban street now called Lewis Close. (In Lewis's day none of the other houses were there, and Lewis Close was his unpaved driveway.)
                • Sara Ciborski
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 17, 2008
                    More thanks! I'm printing all this out to take with me.
                    Sara C.

                    David Bratman wrote:
                    > Sara Ciborski <saraciborski@...> wrote:
                    >

                    >> Thank you, David. This is extremely helpful, both the directions and the
                    >> suggestions for what to see.
                    >>

                    > A few other comments besides the parking one which frankly had slipped my mind:
                    >
                    > 1) I was going to say, don't try to visit more than two colleges in one day, certainly not on your first visit. You'll get colleged out. That was why I suggested selecting two. I have the authority of none less than Jane Austen that they all begin to look alike if you try to take in too many at once.
                    >
                    > 2) Though the Inklings' favorite pub and their traditional noon meeting place in post-WW2 years is the Eagle and Child, they had some other favorite pubs. The one I like best is the Kings Arms at the east end of Broad Street (corner of Holywell and Parks Road), which is where Tolkien and others would meet Lewis when he was researching at the Bodleian. The White Horse next to Blackwell's has the best cider. Then there's their country pub, The Trout Inn - now that, unlike the cemetery, actually is in Wolvercote, though its location is usually given as Godstow (which is not a village, just the name of the ruined abbey). Drive into Wolvercote from the main road to the east, through both halves of the village (the upper town with the town pub and the lower town with the village green) and out the other side, and a bit along the twisty road is the Trout. Beautiful site along the river - it was to the meadows around here that the Rev. Dodgson rowed the Liddell sisters on the day he told them the story about the little girl and the rabbit.
                    >
                    > 3) Check your map carefully before you head to the cemetery area or the park-and-ride at that end of town. The highway layout is confusing, and you're liable to find yourself shooting off towards Bicester or Witney before you realize where you're going. That happened on my first visit. A GPS system might be better to have in a car in Britain than in the US, as it's harder to use a map while driving - everyone drives very fast, there are few places to pull over, and not many traffic lights to stop at.
                    >
                    > 4) A few of Tolkien's residences were in the central city in easy walking distance, but if you want to see his main homes (Northmoor Road and Sandfield Road) it's best to drive if you're making a quick visit. They're a pleasant but very long walk away. None of them are open for visitors; just admire them from the street.
                    >
                    > 5) Did you want to see C.S. Lewis's home, The Kilns? That is open to visitors, but you have to make an appointment in advance. Info at <http://www.cslewis.org/programs/kilns/kilnstour.htm>. That's way out beyond the ring road on the Headington side of town (to the east), at the end of a little suburban street now called Lewis Close. (In Lewis's day none of the other houses were there, and Lewis Close was his unpaved driveway.)

                  • Lynn Maudlin
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 17, 2008
                      That's okay, though - if you had a car you'd have nowhere to park it
                      anyway... it's become VERY car-unfriendly... But going to Wolvercote,
                      she'll want a car. Have a great time, Sara!

                      -- Lynn --

                      > Do you realize that cars are banned from central Oxford?
                      >

                      > In a message dated 5/16/2008 12:20:57 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                      > saraciborski@... writes:
                      >

                      > A practical question: I am going to England in a few days--a long-
                      > planned vacation-type trip--and I will have one day to spend in
                      Oxford.
                      > And of course--for this, in particular, is long-desired-And of
                      course--for
                      > to visit Tolkien's grave. I see on my road atlas (I will be
                      driving)
                      > that Wolvercote, the town, is somewhat to the northwest of Oxford.
                      > So...can I assume that Wolvercote cemetery is in the town of
                      > Wolvercote? And is it hard to find? Many on this list must have
                      been
                      > there and I am grateful for any driving instructions you might be
                      able
                      > to provide.
                      > Thanks,
                      > Sara Ciborski
                      >

                      > **************Wondering what's for Dinner Tonight? Get new twists
                      on family
                      > favorites at AOL Food.

                    • Lynn Maudlin
                      Message 10 of 10 , May 17, 2008
                        And there are a variety of buses that roll down the Banbury Road into
                        Oxford proper...