RE: [mythsoc] Mythcon 2008 details?

  • Croft, Janet B.
    Message 1 of 9 , May 1, 2008
      And as long as we are asking questions about Mythcon, I've been wondering if there will be an art show?

      Janet

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 9 , May 4, 2008
        Reading Edward G. Seidensticker's introduction to his translation of
        Murasaki Shikibu's 11th cent. _Tale of Genji_ (Everyman's Library
        ed.), I was struck by the following claim (p. xv):

        "If the _Genji_ is loosely constructed and inconclusive, it is also
        strongly lyrical, especially in its treatment of nature and fusion of
        man and place and season, of foreground and background. In probably no
        major Occidental work of fiction is one so constantly aware of the
        seasons and the phases of the moon."

        Needless to say, we here all in fact know of _one_ "major Occidental
        work" that is striking in this characteristic. (And, unlike the
        _Genji_, which as a work of the Orient referred all times and seasons
        to a lunar calendar, the prominence of the moon in _The Lord of the
        Rings_ is far from inevitable.) Alas, I expect academic blinders
        excluded Tolkien from Seidensticker's survey of "major Occidental
        works".

        Carl
      • Lynn Maudlin
        Message 3 of 9 , May 17, 2008
          Hey David (and other curious parties) - I am seriously nudging the
          concom to get the room & board prices up there - suffice it to say
          they are LESS than last year at Berkeley (which is a Very Nice
          Thing!).

          If you go to the CCSU website, there's all sorts of information
          there - http://www.ccsu.edu/HowDoI/visitors.htm has some useful links.

          Bradley's website has http://www.bradleyairport.com/Transport/ where
          you can check taxi prices, etc. Obviously if you can share a taxi or
          limo, it will cost you less. Personally I wouldn't wrestle with the
          bus system (buses & luggage = no fun). I believe it's about 25 miles
          to campus.

          People can come in EARLY (Thursday night) but there will be NO Monday
          nights on campus. I'm not sure why but that's what CCSU says. Folks
          from the west coast will want to fly on Thursday or very early Friday
          in order to have any of the Friday events (the joy of time zones
          working against you). There will be Friday afternoon programming
          (some, anyway) and interesting activities Friday night.

          best (and looking forward to seeing you!)
          -- Lynnster --

          > It's time to start making travel plans for Mythcon 2008, but I
          haven't heard anything about the room & board costs yet. Also, the
          web site tells what airport to use but not what options are available
          to traverse the considerable distance to the university, and how much
          that might cost & how much time it would take. And will there be
          Friday afternoon events that would impel one to schedule a flight
          earlier rather than later? And will conference-rate housing be
          available Thursday night and/or Monday night?

          > Anybody? Bueller? Anybody?
          >
          > emerdavid

          > PeoplePC Online
          > A better way to Internet
          > http://www.peoplepc.com

        • Lynn Maudlin
          Message 4 of 9 , May 17, 2008
            Of course - Tolkien is *popular*...
            -- Lynn --

            --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Carl F. Hostetter" <Aelfwine@...>
            wrote:

            > "In probably no
            > major Occidental work of fiction is one so constantly aware of the
            > seasons and the phases of the moon."
            >
            > Needless to say, we here all in fact know of _one_ "major
            Occidental
            > work" that is striking in this characteristic. (And, unlike the
            > _Genji_, which as a work of the Orient referred all times and
            seasons
            > to a lunar calendar, the prominence of the moon in _The Lord of
            the
            > Rings_ is far from inevitable.) Alas, I expect academic blinders
            > excluded Tolkien from Seidensticker's survey of "major Occidental
            > works".
            >
            > Carl

          • David Emerson
            Message 5 of 9 , May 17, 2008
              Many thanks, Lynn. This kind of info is a BIG help in doing my planning & budgeting.

              >Hey David (and other curious parties) - I am seriously nudging the
              >concom to get the room & board prices up there - suffice it to say
              >they are LESS than last year at Berkeley (which is a Very Nice
              >Thing!).
              >
              >If you go to the CCSU website, there's all sorts of information
              >there - http://www.ccsu.edu/HowDoI/visitors.htm has some useful links.
              >
              >Bradley's website has http://www.bradleyairport.com/Transport/ where
              >you can check taxi prices, etc. Obviously if you can share a taxi or
              >limo, it will cost you less. Personally I wouldn't wrestle with the
              >bus system (buses & luggage = no fun). I believe it's about 25 miles
              >to campus.
              >
              >People can come in EARLY (Thursday night) but there will be NO Monday
              >nights on campus. I'm not sure why but that's what CCSU says. Folks
              >from the west coast will want to fly on Thursday or very early Friday
              >in order to have any of the Friday events (the joy of time zones
              >working against you). There will be Friday afternoon programming
              >(some, anyway) and interesting activities Friday night.

              emerdavid

              PeoplePC Online
              A better way to Internet
              http://www.peoplepc.com
            • Marcie
              Message 6 of 9 , May 18, 2008
                Many thanks for the info, (especially since I'd already booked my
                flights--in on Thursday and out on Monday!) Cheers! Marcie

                --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn Maudlin" <lynnmaudlin@...>

                Message 7 of 9 , May 18, 2008
                  Lynn wrote:

                  >Hey David (and other curious parties) - I am seriously nudging the
                  >concom to get the room & board prices up there - suffice it to say
                  >they are LESS than last year at Berkeley (which is a Very Nice
                  >Thing!).

                  Thanks, Lynn. It would be useful to know fuller details. We've been trying
                  to find them out also.

                  Wayne and Christina

                • Lynn Maudlin
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 20, 2008
                    I so look forward to seeing you guys! Ah, the old days working on the
                    Tolkien Centenary and I could fly to England on the drop of a hat--!
                    (a rather large hat, mind you, but with some frequency).

                    I *believe* more info will be on the website very soon but feel free
                    to email me (my email ends AT yahoo.com; I believe the beginning is
                    visible).

                    blessings,
                    -- Lynn --

                    --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne G. Hammond"