Mythcon 2008 details?

  • David Emerson
    Message 1 of 9 , May 1, 2008
      It's time to start making travel plans for Mythcon 2008, but I haven't heard anything about the room & board costs yet. Also, the web site tells what airport to use but not what options are available to traverse the considerable distance to the university, and how much that might cost & how much time it would take. And will there be Friday afternoon events that would impel one to schedule a flight earlier rather than later? And will conference-rate housing be available Thursday night and/or Monday night?

      Anybody? Bueller? Anybody?

      emerdavid

      PeoplePC Online
      A better way to Internet
      http://www.peoplepc.com
    • Croft, Janet B.
      Message 2 of 9 , May 1, 2008
        And as long as we are asking questions about Mythcon, I've been wondering if there will be an art show?

        Janet

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 9 , May 4, 2008
          Reading Edward G. Seidensticker's introduction to his translation of
          Murasaki Shikibu's 11th cent. _Tale of Genji_ (Everyman's Library
          ed.), I was struck by the following claim (p. xv):

          "If the _Genji_ is loosely constructed and inconclusive, it is also
          strongly lyrical, especially in its treatment of nature and fusion of
          man and place and season, of foreground and background. In probably no
          major Occidental work of fiction is one so constantly aware of the
          seasons and the phases of the moon."

          Needless to say, we here all in fact know of _one_ "major Occidental
          work" that is striking in this characteristic. (And, unlike the
          _Genji_, which as a work of the Orient referred all times and seasons
          to a lunar calendar, the prominence of the moon in _The Lord of the
          Rings_ is far from inevitable.) Alas, I expect academic blinders
          excluded Tolkien from Seidensticker's survey of "major Occidental
          works".

          Carl
        • Lynn Maudlin
          Message 4 of 9 , May 17, 2008
            Hey David (and other curious parties) - I am seriously nudging the
            concom to get the room & board prices up there - suffice it to say
            they are LESS than last year at Berkeley (which is a Very Nice
            Thing!).

            If you go to the CCSU website, there's all sorts of information
            there - http://www.ccsu.edu/HowDoI/visitors.htm has some useful links.

            Bradley's website has http://www.bradleyairport.com/Transport/ where
            you can check taxi prices, etc. Obviously if you can share a taxi or
            limo, it will cost you less. Personally I wouldn't wrestle with the
            bus system (buses & luggage = no fun). I believe it's about 25 miles
            to campus.

            People can come in EARLY (Thursday night) but there will be NO Monday
            nights on campus. I'm not sure why but that's what CCSU says. Folks
            from the west coast will want to fly on Thursday or very early Friday
            in order to have any of the Friday events (the joy of time zones
            working against you). There will be Friday afternoon programming
            (some, anyway) and interesting activities Friday night.

            best (and looking forward to seeing you!)
            -- Lynnster --

            > It's time to start making travel plans for Mythcon 2008, but I
            haven't heard anything about the room & board costs yet. Also, the
            web site tells what airport to use but not what options are available
            to traverse the considerable distance to the university, and how much
            that might cost & how much time it would take. And will there be
            Friday afternoon events that would impel one to schedule a flight
            earlier rather than later? And will conference-rate housing be
            available Thursday night and/or Monday night?

            > Anybody? Bueller? Anybody?
            >
            > emerdavid

            > PeoplePC Online
            > A better way to Internet
            > http://www.peoplepc.com

          • Lynn Maudlin
            Message 5 of 9 , May 17, 2008
              Of course - Tolkien is *popular*...
              -- Lynn --

              --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Carl F. Hostetter" <Aelfwine@...>
              wrote:

              > "In probably no
              > major Occidental work of fiction is one so constantly aware of the
              > seasons and the phases of the moon."
              >
              > Needless to say, we here all in fact know of _one_ "major
              Occidental
              > work" that is striking in this characteristic. (And, unlike the
              > _Genji_, which as a work of the Orient referred all times and
              seasons
              > to a lunar calendar, the prominence of the moon in _The Lord of
              the
              > Rings_ is far from inevitable.) Alas, I expect academic blinders
              > excluded Tolkien from Seidensticker's survey of "major Occidental
              > works".
              >
              > Carl

            • David Emerson
              Message 6 of 9 , May 17, 2008
                Many thanks, Lynn. This kind of info is a BIG help in doing my planning & budgeting.

                >Hey David (and other curious parties) - I am seriously nudging the
                >concom to get the room & board prices up there - suffice it to say
                >they are LESS than last year at Berkeley (which is a Very Nice
                >Thing!).
                >
                >If you go to the CCSU website, there's all sorts of information
                >there - http://www.ccsu.edu/HowDoI/visitors.htm has some useful links.
                >
                >Bradley's website has http://www.bradleyairport.com/Transport/ where
                >you can check taxi prices, etc. Obviously if you can share a taxi or
                >limo, it will cost you less. Personally I wouldn't wrestle with the
                >bus system (buses & luggage = no fun). I believe it's about 25 miles
                >to campus.
                >
                >People can come in EARLY (Thursday night) but there will be NO Monday
                >nights on campus. I'm not sure why but that's what CCSU says. Folks
                >from the west coast will want to fly on Thursday or very early Friday
                >in order to have any of the Friday events (the joy of time zones
                >working against you). There will be Friday afternoon programming
                >(some, anyway) and interesting activities Friday night.

                emerdavid

                PeoplePC Online
                A better way to Internet
                http://www.peoplepc.com
              • Marcie
                Message 7 of 9 , May 18, 2008
                  Many thanks for the info, (especially since I'd already booked my
                  flights--in on Thursday and out on Monday!) Cheers! Marcie

                  --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn Maudlin" <lynnmaudlin@...>

                  Message 8 of 9 , May 18, 2008
                    Lynn wrote:

                    >Hey David (and other curious parties) - I am seriously nudging the
                    >concom to get the room & board prices up there - suffice it to say
                    >they are LESS than last year at Berkeley (which is a Very Nice
                    >Thing!).

                    Thanks, Lynn. It would be useful to know fuller details. We've been trying
                    to find them out also.

                    Wayne and Christina

                  • Lynn Maudlin
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 20, 2008
                      I so look forward to seeing you guys! Ah, the old days working on the
                      Tolkien Centenary and I could fly to England on the drop of a hat--!
                      (a rather large hat, mind you, but with some frequency).

                      I *believe* more info will be on the website very soon but feel free
                      to email me (my email ends AT yahoo.com; I believe the beginning is
                      visible).

                      blessings,
                      -- Lynn --

                      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne G. Hammond"