Re: P.S.: Elves as Artists

  • Jason Fisher
    Message 1 of 31 , Apr 25, 2008
      John,
      > Skimming through a recent arrival, THE SILMARILLION:
      > THIRTY YEARS ON, ed. Allan Turner (Walking Tree Press) [...]
      > Interestingly enough from my point of view, Devaux quotes Fr.
      > Rbt Murray as having said that Tolkien once told him "in his
      > opinion the angels had played a large part in creation"; Devaux
      > asserts that JRRT was talking about his secondary world, not
      > the real world as Fr. Murray had assumed. I on the other hand
      > wd say he might have meant it to apply equally to both, since he
      > was at pains to associate his fictional world with our own.
      But Tolkien wrote in a draft letter to Rhona Beare:
      "I suppose a difference between this Myth and what may be perhaps called Christian mythology is this. In the latter the Fall of Man is subsequent to and a consequence (though not a necessary consequence) of the 'Fall of the Angels': a rebellion of created free-will at a higher level than Man; but it is not clearly held (and in many versions is not held at all) that this affected the 'World' in its nature: evil was brought in from outside, by Satan. In this Myth the rebellion of created free-will precedes creation of the World (E�); and E� has in it, subcreatively introduced, evil, rebellions, discordant elements of its own nature already when the Let it Be was spoken. The Fall or corruption, therefore, of all things in it and all inhabitants of it, was a possibility if not inevitable." (Tolkien, Letters 286-8)
      Do you really think Tolkien's view was as unorthodox as to suggest the angles played an active�part in Creation? In my own recent essay, "Tolkien's Fortunate Fall and the Third Theme of Il�vatar" (forgive what may seem like a shameless plug),�I say that "[t]his is in striking contrast to Tolkien�s otherwise Catholic perspective. As a devout Catholic, Tolkien would have firmly believed that Lucifer played no part in God�s creation of the World, and yet the Luciferian counterpart in his fictive mythos did play a part in that creation�and by no means a small one. Consequently, the World is broken, as it were, from its very inception." (Truths Breathed Through Silver: The Inklings' Moral and Mythopoeic Legacy, ed. Jonathan Himes, with Joe R. Christopher and Salwa Khoddam, Cambridge Scholars Press, 2008)
      Jason

    • Marcie
      Message 31 of 31 , Apr 28, 2008
        Hi all,
        Several of the folks in our Los Angeles smial have taken on the Eowyn
        Challenge and really enjoyed it. Two of us arrived in Rivendell this
        month and are now on our way to Lothlorien. Four or five others have
        started out from Hobbiton, and one person has walked, jogged and
        cycled all the way to Mordor! Hope you'll enjoy your walks.
        Cheers,
        Marcie

        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Higgins <asthiggins@...> wrote:

        > Hi All
        >
        > Yesterday the UK was blessed with one of the warmest days of the
        year so far and it afforded myself, partner and our Corgi, Charlie,
        to start the Eowyn Challenge (our cat Meowman was not interested and
        preferred to do the couch challenge). We have decided this summer to
        walk to Rivendell from Hobbiton (roughly 450 miles). We travelled to
        one of the ancient seats of the Bishops of Winchester - Farnham - and
        walked roughly 5 miles which essentially according to the Eowyn
        Challenge (the "Horse Joy" challenge as it were) got us into Tookland
        (27 miles to the first encounter with the Black Rider - why am I
        looking forward to that?).

        > Farnham Castle is currently managed by The English Heritage Society
        and as we were passing by the gates I got thinking about what The
        Middle Earth Heritage Society would look like in the future time of
        Middle Earth (say the 20th Age) what ruins would exist (Minas Tirith,
        Isengard, Edoras) - with the passing of the Elves one would think
        that Elvish buildings would fade as well (although as in the Lord of
        the Rings Online game - one would still see some remains of Elvish
        architecture like Edelethion). Would men have set up a society to
        manage and fund the upkeep of the most famous sites of Middle Earth
        and as a member of the Middle Earth Heritage Society you could get in
        free to all these sites. Would there be museum displays of the great
        battles - and I'm sure to secure government funding from the
        Elessarion goverment you would have to do some interactive
        educational elements (try on the armor of a Numenorian soldier, make
        your own remedy out of Athelas leaves, etc) - would
        > there be a gift shop (purchase your own Lembas bread recipe,
        palantir snow globes, etc.). What would people be thinking as the
        walked across the stone ruins of what was Osgiliath or Minas Ithil -
        would there be a coffee/gift shop and travellers restaurant on top of
        Weathertop?

        > Any other ideas on what would form part of The Middle Earth
        Historical Society would offer - reenacrtments of the Battle of
        Pelannor fields perhaps?

        > Andy
        >

        > Andrew Higgins
        > asthiggins@yahoo. org.uk
        >

        > "Alles ist nach seiner Art, an ihr wirst du nichts andern."
        Siegfried Act 2