Elves as Artists

  • Cole Matson
    Message 1 of 31 , Apr 13, 2008
      Greetings, all.

      I've been reading The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien and have just finished #153,
      the draft letter to Peter Hastings addressing the metaphysics of LOTR. I've
      come across two quotes that are awakening the germ of an essay in me:

      p. 192, para. 2: The Elves "are primarily artists."
      p. 194, para. 2: "Are there any 'bounds to a writer's job' except those
      imposed by his own finiteness? No bounds, but the laws of contradiction, I
      should think. But, of course, humility and an awareness of peril is
      required... I would claim, if I did not think it presumptuous in one so
      ill-instructed, to have as one object the elucidation of truth, and the
      encouragement of good morals in this real world, by the ancient device of
      exemplifying them in unfamiliar embodiments, that may tend to 'bring them
      home.'"

      Are there any good articles/books/talks anyone can point me to addressing
      Tolkien's conception of the Elves as Artists, or Sub-Creation within Arda
      (so, Sub-Sub-Creation, I suppose)? Or further on what Tolkien had to say
      about the writer's or artist's job. (I extensively referenced "On
      Fairy-Stories" when I did a paper on this subject, so I'm familiar with that
      essay.)

      And as an aside, I'm finding the Letters fascinating, especially JRRT's own
      insights as to the important themes of his work and characters. It's very
      helpful in dispelling myths. Nothing like going straight to the source! And,
      like with Lewis' Letters, I can't put them down.

      Thanks for your help!

      Cole

      --
      [image: Headshot]
      Cole Matson

    • Marcie
      Message 31 of 31 , Apr 28, 2008
        Hi all,
        Several of the folks in our Los Angeles smial have taken on the Eowyn
        Challenge and really enjoyed it. Two of us arrived in Rivendell this
        month and are now on our way to Lothlorien. Four or five others have
        started out from Hobbiton, and one person has walked, jogged and
        cycled all the way to Mordor! Hope you'll enjoy your walks.
        Cheers,
        Marcie

        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Higgins <asthiggins@...> wrote:

        > Hi All
        >
        > Yesterday the UK was blessed with one of the warmest days of the
        year so far and it afforded myself, partner and our Corgi, Charlie,
        to start the Eowyn Challenge (our cat Meowman was not interested and
        preferred to do the couch challenge). We have decided this summer to
        walk to Rivendell from Hobbiton (roughly 450 miles). We travelled to
        one of the ancient seats of the Bishops of Winchester - Farnham - and
        walked roughly 5 miles which essentially according to the Eowyn
        Challenge (the "Horse Joy" challenge as it were) got us into Tookland
        (27 miles to the first encounter with the Black Rider - why am I
        looking forward to that?).

        > Farnham Castle is currently managed by The English Heritage Society
        and as we were passing by the gates I got thinking about what The
        Middle Earth Heritage Society would look like in the future time of
        Middle Earth (say the 20th Age) what ruins would exist (Minas Tirith,
        Isengard, Edoras) - with the passing of the Elves one would think
        that Elvish buildings would fade as well (although as in the Lord of
        the Rings Online game - one would still see some remains of Elvish
        architecture like Edelethion). Would men have set up a society to
        manage and fund the upkeep of the most famous sites of Middle Earth
        and as a member of the Middle Earth Heritage Society you could get in
        free to all these sites. Would there be museum displays of the great
        battles - and I'm sure to secure government funding from the
        Elessarion goverment you would have to do some interactive
        educational elements (try on the armor of a Numenorian soldier, make
        your own remedy out of Athelas leaves, etc) - would
        > there be a gift shop (purchase your own Lembas bread recipe,
        palantir snow globes, etc.). What would people be thinking as the
        walked across the stone ruins of what was Osgiliath or Minas Ithil -
        would there be a coffee/gift shop and travellers restaurant on top of
        Weathertop?

        > Any other ideas on what would form part of The Middle Earth
        Historical Society would offer - reenacrtments of the Battle of
        Pelannor fields perhaps?

        > Andy
        >

        > Andrew Higgins
        > asthiggins@yahoo. org.uk
        >

        > "Alles ist nach seiner Art, an ihr wirst du nichts andern."
        Siegfried Act 2