Re: [mythsoc] ehrman

  • Carl F. Hostetter
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 11, 2008
      Does Ehrman engage or cite _any_ of the works of the legion of
      theologians who have addressed this topic in the past millennia?

      Carl

      On Apr 11, 2008, at 3:10 PM, John D Rateliff wrote:
      > Has anybody here read Bart Ehrman's new book, GOD'S PROBLEM? It seems
      > to address the exact same topic as Lewis's THE PROBLEM OF PAIN, which
      > I've always found the best of CSL's apologetical books, but the index
      > doesn't include a single listing for Lewis. This seems odd, since the
      > author's a graduate of Wheaton. I've enjoyed Ehrman's other books
      > like MISQUOTING JESUS and LOST SCRIPTURES and wondered how people
      > felt about this one.

    • Larry Swain
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 11, 2008
        The author has very openly and combatively left evangelicalism behind and is using his scholarship to more or less combat the belief system he once held. I'd say that his omission of Lewis is probably quite deliberate.

        Larry Swain

        > Does Ehrman engage or cite _any_ of the works of the legion of
        > theologians who have addressed this topic in the past millennia?
        >
        > Carl
        >

        > On Apr 11, 2008, at 3:10 PM, John D Rateliff wrote:
        > > Has anybody here read Bart Ehrman's new book, GOD'S PROBLEM? It seems
        > > to address the exact same topic as Lewis's THE PROBLEM OF PAIN, which
        > > I've always found the best of CSL's apologetical books, but the index
        > > doesn't include a single listing for Lewis. This seems odd, since the
        > > author's a graduate of Wheaton. I've enjoyed Ehrman's other books
        > > like MISQUOTING JESUS and LOST SCRIPTURES and wondered how people
        > > felt about this one.

        Powered by Outblaze
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 11, 2008
          In a message dated 4/11/2008 3:40:48 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
          Aelfwine@... writes:

          Does Ehrman engage or cite _any_ of the works of the legion of
          theologians who have addressed this topic in the past millennia?

          I have the book but haven't read it. There aren't very many references to
          previous theologians' discussion of the works. There are some references to
          works like The Brothers Karamazov. There are a whole lot of citations of
          biblical verses which (he claims) contradict each other on the subject of the
          problem of pain and each of which (he believes) don't solve the problem. There
          are a lot of examples of suffering which (he says) can't be reconciled with
          any Biblical theory of them. He says that despite a lifetime of trying to
          understand the Biblical explanation for suffering that he doesn't find any
          consistency or value in it.

          For what it's worth, he doesn't seem to be convincing anyone and really has
          no intent of convincing anyone. (He can't even convince his wife, who
          remains a devout Episcopalian.) He says that he has no intent to convert anyone to
          atheism or agnosticism. He says that the only people who try to convert him
          anymore are atheists who can't understand why he wants to remain an agnostic.

          Finance. (http://money.aol.com/tax?NCID=aolcmp00300000002850)