Re: [mythsoc] . . . not on topic

  • James Jones
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 11, 2008
      --- David Emerson <emerdavid@...> wrote:

      > >... de Camp asked Tolkien why, if it was based on
      > Europe many
      > >thousands of years ago, his Middle-earth lacked the
      > megafauna of that
      > >era.
      >
      > Does the oliphaunt fall under the category of
      > "megafauna"?

      It does but I always got the impression that the
      oliphaunt in Middle Earth, much like an elephant to
      someone who lived in Europe, was something exotic.

      Actually, it's interesting because if you look at a
      map of Middle Earth, pretty much everything east of
      the Iron Hills and south of Gondor fell into the realm
      of the exotic and fantastic, that being the Harad and
      Rhun.

      James J.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Carl F. Hostetter
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 11, 2008
        On Apr 11, 2008, at 2:04 PM, John D Rateliff wrote:
        > all the cheap sneers at Gore

        There is nothing cheap about them, sirrah! They cost $12.50 each --
        just like the mercury-laden fluorescent light-bulbs Congress is
        mandating -- PLUS a mandatory $20 carbon-credit per pack of 6!