ehrman

  • John D Rateliff
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 11, 2008
      Has anybody here read Bart Ehrman's new book, GOD'S PROBLEM? It seems
      to address the exact same topic as Lewis's THE PROBLEM OF PAIN, which
      I've always found the best of CSL's apologetical books, but the index
      doesn't include a single listing for Lewis. This seems odd, since the
      author's a graduate of Wheaton. I've enjoyed Ehrman's other books
      like MISQUOTING JESUS and LOST SCRIPTURES and wondered how people
      felt about this one.

      --JDR

      current audiobook: Ehrman's LOST CHRISTIANITIES
    • Carl F. Hostetter
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 11, 2008
        Does Ehrman engage or cite _any_ of the works of the legion of
        theologians who have addressed this topic in the past millennia?

        Carl

        On Apr 11, 2008, at 3:10 PM, John D Rateliff wrote:
        > Has anybody here read Bart Ehrman's new book, GOD'S PROBLEM? It seems
        > to address the exact same topic as Lewis's THE PROBLEM OF PAIN, which
        > I've always found the best of CSL's apologetical books, but the index
        > doesn't include a single listing for Lewis. This seems odd, since the
        > author's a graduate of Wheaton. I've enjoyed Ehrman's other books
        > like MISQUOTING JESUS and LOST SCRIPTURES and wondered how people
        > felt about this one.

      • Larry Swain
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 11, 2008
          The author has very openly and combatively left evangelicalism behind and is using his scholarship to more or less combat the belief system he once held. I'd say that his omission of Lewis is probably quite deliberate.

          Larry Swain

          > Does Ehrman engage or cite _any_ of the works of the legion of
          > theologians who have addressed this topic in the past millennia?
          >
          > Carl
          >

          > On Apr 11, 2008, at 3:10 PM, John D Rateliff wrote:
          > > Has anybody here read Bart Ehrman's new book, GOD'S PROBLEM? It seems
          > > to address the exact same topic as Lewis's THE PROBLEM OF PAIN, which
          > > I've always found the best of CSL's apologetical books, but the index
          > > doesn't include a single listing for Lewis. This seems odd, since the
          > > author's a graduate of Wheaton. I've enjoyed Ehrman's other books
          > > like MISQUOTING JESUS and LOST SCRIPTURES and wondered how people
          > > felt about this one.

          Powered by Outblaze
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 11, 2008
            In a message dated 4/11/2008 3:40:48 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
            Aelfwine@... writes:

            Does Ehrman engage or cite _any_ of the works of the legion of
            theologians who have addressed this topic in the past millennia?

            I have the book but haven't read it. There aren't very many references to
            previous theologians' discussion of the works. There are some references to
            works like The Brothers Karamazov. There are a whole lot of citations of
            biblical verses which (he claims) contradict each other on the subject of the
            problem of pain and each of which (he believes) don't solve the problem. There
            are a lot of examples of suffering which (he says) can't be reconciled with
            any Biblical theory of them. He says that despite a lifetime of trying to
            understand the Biblical explanation for suffering that he doesn't find any
            consistency or value in it.

            For what it's worth, he doesn't seem to be convincing anyone and really has
            no intent of convincing anyone. (He can't even convince his wife, who
            remains a devout Episcopalian.) He says that he has no intent to convert anyone to
            atheism or agnosticism. He says that the only people who try to convert him
            anymore are atheists who can't understand why he wants to remain an agnostic.

            Finance. (http://money.aol.com/tax?NCID=aolcmp00300000002850)