Re: [mythsoc] ADMIN: Global warming not on topic

  • Diane Joy Baker
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 11 8:50 AM
      Excellent scenario!

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Carl F. Hostetter
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Friday, April 11, 2008 11:20 AM
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] ADMIN: Global warming not on topic

      On Apr 11, 2008, at 11:13 AM, Diane Joy Baker wrote:
      > The minute Al Gore went into one of his long winded speeches, she
      > would turn him to stone.

      I think it would go more like this:

      Al Gore: "The future food security of millions of people is at risk
      because over-fishing, climate ch... say, is that Turkish Delight?"

      White Witch: "Why yes. Please, take all you want...." (_sotto voce_:
      "MWWWWAAAHH HAH HAH HAH HAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!")

    • John D Rateliff
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 11 11:04 AM
        On Apr 10, 2008, at 10:34 PM, Merlin DeTardo wrote:
        > More than 25 years ago, Paul Kocher likened the colds of the Witch-
        > king and Morgoth to glacial epochs.

        Speaking of which, and ignoring all the cheap sneers at Gore, this
        reminds me of an interesting point in LITERARY SWORDSMEN & SORCERERS
        where de Camp asked Tolkien why, if it was based on Europe many
        thousands of years ago, his Middle-earth lacked the megafauna of that
        era. According to de Camp, the two men agreed it was because "Middle-
        earth reflected Tolkien's memories of the English countryside in his
        boyhood", when except for deer "large wild animals had been extinct
        in Britain for centuries".

        --JDR
      • David Emerson
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 11 11:21 AM
          >... de Camp asked Tolkien why, if it was based on Europe many
          >thousands of years ago, his Middle-earth lacked the megafauna of that
          >era.

          Does the oliphaunt fall under the category of "megafauna"?

          emerdavid

          PeoplePC Online
          A better way to Internet
          http://www.peoplepc.com
        • James Jones
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 11 11:29 AM
            --- David Emerson <emerdavid@...> wrote:

            > >... de Camp asked Tolkien why, if it was based on
            > Europe many
            > >thousands of years ago, his Middle-earth lacked the
            > megafauna of that
            > >era.
            >
            > Does the oliphaunt fall under the category of
            > "megafauna"?

            It does but I always got the impression that the
            oliphaunt in Middle Earth, much like an elephant to
            someone who lived in Europe, was something exotic.

            Actually, it's interesting because if you look at a
            map of Middle Earth, pretty much everything east of
            the Iron Hills and south of Gondor fell into the realm
            of the exotic and fantastic, that being the Harad and
            Rhun.

            James J.

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • John D Rateliff
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 11 12:07 PM
              On Apr 11, 2008, at 11:21 AM, David Emerson wrote:
              >> ... de Camp asked Tolkien why, if it was based on Europe many
              >> thousands of years ago, his Middle-earth lacked the megafauna of
              >> that era.
              > Does the oliphaunt fall under the category of "megafauna"?

              Yes indeed; it's clearly both some form of mastodon or mammoth AND
              the beastiary elephant at one and the same time. But it's clearly
              long since vanished from the North-West, remembered only from
              traveller's tales like Sam's rhyme.
              It's worth pointing out, though, that de Camp seems to forget
              about the wolves, which can get pretty big (especially in Middle-
              earth!). And of course if we include The Hobbit we get huge bears as
              well. But most of the lands the Fellowship crosses seem to lack
              anything bigger than a fox, which is entirely appropriate to England
              in the last century or so but not like the older world; I assume from
              all the bear-baiting that there were still wild bears in England in
              Shakespeare's time, and wolves lasted until sometime in the medieval
              era (both are certainly well-represented in the continental folk-
              tales of the Grimms and Perrault).
              --JDR
            • Carl F. Hostetter
              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 11 3:05 PM
                On Apr 11, 2008, at 2:04 PM, John D Rateliff wrote:
                > all the cheap sneers at Gore

                There is nothing cheap about them, sirrah! They cost $12.50 each --
                just like the mercury-laden fluorescent light-bulbs Congress is
                mandating -- PLUS a mandatory $20 carbon-credit per pack of 6!